Help! Irix Edge Square Filter Protector Set IFHP-100-PS1

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I hope you can help.

I have the Irix 15mm and all is well, but!

When using the correct Irix filter adaptor and using 100mm square filters, there is a small gap above and below the filter as the lens optics are slightly larger than the filter. This means that when using a 100mm x 100mm ND1000, I get light leaks and a halo on the image.

So I contacted Irix who in their defense emailed me back within minutes saying I needed 2 items to fix the issue:

The foam gaskets were out of stock, but the square filter protector set IFHP-100-PS1 that are the actual bits that make the filter 'bigger' and block the light getting in were in stock so I went ahead to order them.

The postage originally was €3 and the parts were €7 but when I said I was in the UK, the postage shot up to €50!

I did email back and question the postage cost and was told that it was the cheapest postage they do to the UK but not to worry as if I bought more then the postage wouldn't change!

I've started looking for alternatives as there isn't a UK stockist for this item but all alternatives protect the complete perimeter of the filter which is no good as I just need 2 side protection 'light blocking' sides so the filter still fits into the holder.

Any help or tips would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Gav, the foam gaskets, I've located the tape like you mentioned selling on Amazon so that's all good. My struggle is the 2nd link that they sell, which are these end protection plastic clip sets that block the light getting in around the filter and onto the lens optic.

That's the bit I'm struggling with. There's got to be something that I can use similar to those that can be bought here in the UK.
€50 for 2 x 100mm bits of plastic is unreal!

Thanks Gav, the foam gaskets, I've located the tape like you mentioned selling on Amazon so that's all good. My struggle is the 2nd link that they sell, which are these end protection plastic clip sets that block the light getting in around the filter and onto the lens optic.

That's the bit I'm struggling with. There's got to be something that I can use similar to those that can be bought here in the UK.
€50 for 2 x 100mm bits of plastic is unreal!
They look like they only protect from damage from drops, the foam fills the gaps?

If light is passing through from the edges, try pvc tape or masking tape over the edges to block the light, or black paint around the rim of the filter.

Sorry if I've misunderstood anything.

I had similar-ish issues with the old Cokin filter holders, I just cut a thin strip of foam off an old kipmat (camping mat) and just pushed it in top and bottom. Worked fine.
Even a black bandana draped around it should work.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Gav, that last link could work, I'll have to measure the filter to see if their smallest rubber profile would work.
Also, trying the camping mat foam cut up sounds a plan also, it doesn't have to look pretty, just be light tight.

In the meantime from your messages to now, I found them on Amazon, took some searching and I've ordered them. Won't lie, the delivery date could be a bit sooner!! Apparently it'll be 6 months till they are delivered!

Tomorrow I cut up and try the camping foam mat inserts before measuring for the rubber profiles.

Thanks all :cool:

Attachments

• 1000032522.jpg
    1000032522.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
Back