South-East England Help! Is the South/south east England really this bad for landscape photography?

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently moved to Horsham in West Sussex (about 30 mins from Brighton) and I’m struggling to find close locations good for landscape photography or even any interesting woodland.

Are there any landscape photographers out there that know any good locations?

I recently moved to Horsham in West Sussex (about 30 mins from Brighton) and I’m struggling to find close locations good for landscape photography or even any interesting woodland.

Try using Google maps satellite view - should show places of interest.

The area around Horsham is not attractive IIRC.

I know what you mean. I'd love to find places to take some nice landscape shots, my favorite is with a waterfall/stream. My partner is from the west of Ireland so I always get lovely shots there.

I can't pin point extra locations to get nice landscapes from but searching Kent Downs on maps gives some lovely examples. Surrey Hills and the South Downs?

Just head east towards Hastings and you're spoilt for choice. Get on the A259 coast road for some wonderful sea views, cliffs, boats, seabirds, hang gliders, paragliders, aeroplanes (at Shoreham airport) and all sorts of wildlife.

Inland a bit you'll find some lovely walks over the South Downs - have a good look on Google Earth/Maps if you can, if not get yourself an Ordnance Survey map from your local newsagent or bookshop.

Just head east towards Hastings and you're spoilt for choice. Get on the A259 coast road for some wonderful sea views, cliffs, boats, seabirds, hang gliders, paragliders, aeroplanes (at Shoreham airport) and all sorts of wildlife.

Inland a bit you'll find some lovely walks over the South Downs - have a good look on Google Earth/Maps if you can, if not get yourself an Ordnance Survey map from your local newsagent or bookshop.

Thanks, this is really helpful. Any recommended places to stop along the A259?

Cuckmere haven and the seven sisters are fantastic locations.
I also did a landscape photography course just outside of Brighton last year on the north downs, stunning scenery unique to the SE of England.

The closest to you is Devil's Dyke just outside Brighton off the A27 . There's even a pub on top where you can eat and sit outdoors - although I don't know if they're open yet.

Further east you'll find Firle Beacon, Newhaven, Seaford Head, go on for a few miles and you'll find Seven Sisters and Beachy head, then you have Eastbourne a couple of miles from there.

Have fun.

As mentioned above, the coast is likely to be the best option, with our mostly flat landscape.

Beachy head has some really nice shots available, especially when there is a mist/fog about.

Look at Edd Allen and Finn Hopson’s stuff, they make that area work

You might also find interesting all the old castles and forts to photograph, I live in East Sussex and the place is over run with them

aG6BTWI.jpg

a rare fortified house Scotney Castle. One of my favourite haunts for photographs

The Ouse Valley (Balcombe) viaduct I should think is worthy of attention?

Or northwards ~ Box Hill, Denbies wine estate, NT Polesden Lacey.......to name a few?

Last edited:
I met a landscape photographer last year at wistmans who was from south east who’d done pretty well for himself and he didn’t have a car, which was the most impressive thing! - I’ll dig out his insta account.

[edit] https://www.instagram.com/eddallen82/

Last edited:
Depends if you have transport. If so then there is a lot within easy distance - High Weald, Surrey Hills, South Downs, Seaford, Birling Gap, Pevensey, Beachy Head, Dungeness.

Dave

Cuckmere haven and the seven sisters are fantastic locations.
I also did a landscape photography course just outside of Brighton last year on the north downs, stunning scenery unique to the SE of England.
The closest to you is Devil's Dyke just outside Brighton off the A27 . There's even a pub on top where you can eat and sit outdoors - although I don't know if they're open yet.

Further east you'll find Firle Beacon, Newhaven, Seaford Head, go on for a few miles and you'll find Seven Sisters and Beachy head, then you have Eastbourne a couple of miles from there.

Have fun.
Going the other way, Arundel and the River Arun area is very photogenic.

All the above for places to go to photograph here in East Sussex.

Back