Help! Looking for advice on a fault - Sony DSC H400

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

New to the forums and unfortunately my first post is one looking for advice/assistance!

I bought my 11 year old lad a pre-owned Sony DSC H400 camera as he was keen to try photography as a hobby. He's been using it and enjoying the hobby but recently there has been an issue with the camera.

It seems to change 'modes' on its own, randomly. He's not accidentally nudging the wheel on the top of the camera which selects the different modes, but every now and then the camera will switch from say 'video' to 'photo'. Is this the kind of thing which can be fixed or repaired? There don't seem to be any camera repair places anywhere near me (Fife in Scotland), unfortunately - otherwise I'd have taken it in for them to have a look at. Camera is working well, otherwise with no issues taking photos.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Hi all,

New to the forums and unfortunately my first post is one looking for advice/assistance!

I bought my 11 year old lad a pre-owned Sony DSC H400 camera as he was keen to try photography as a hobby. He's been using it and enjoying the hobby but recently there has been an issue with the camera.

It seems to change 'modes' on its own, randomly. He's not accidentally nudging the wheel on the top of the camera which selects the different modes, but every now and then the camera will switch from say 'video' to 'photo'. Is this the kind of thing which can be fixed or repaired? There don't seem to be any camera repair places anywhere near me (Fife in Scotland), unfortunately - otherwise I'd have taken it in for them to have a look at. Camera is working well, otherwise with no issues taking photos.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Hi and welcome to TP

No direct experience to offer.....so more thoughts about it....

1. If recent purchase did the supplier offer a warranty of any sort?
  2. I have found some suggestions about what you described to suggest it may be, though not a common fault, something that this model suffered from:(
  3. Have you tried a reset via the menu system?
  4. Bearing it was first introduced in 2014 and can now be bought 2nd hand for between £60 to £160....any possible repairs could/would be uneconomic?
Whatever you manage to do or sort out, I hope your lad continues to enjoy his photography 'journey' :)

Hi and welcome to TP

No direct experience to offer.....so more thoughts about it....

1. If recent purchase did the supplier offer a warranty of any sort?
  2. I have found some suggestions about what you described to suggest it may be, though not a common fault, something that this model suffered from:(
  3. Have you tried a reset via the menu system?
  4. Bearing it was first introduced in 2014 and can now be bought 2nd hand for between £60 to £160....any possible repairs could/would be uneconomic?
Whatever you manage to do or sort out, I hope your lad continues to enjoy his photography 'journey' :)

Hi, many thanks for replying - much appreciated. In answer to your questions:-

1. No warranty, it was purchased from Facebook Marketplace. It's been well looked after by the previous owner, not a mark on the body or any other components.
2. Could you elaborate on the suggestions you found, please? Ta.
3. Not tried that, I'll get him to give that a go, ta.
4. Totally agree.......if it proved to be an excessive repair cost then it would likely be a better option to just give up on it and buy something else instead. It's his first 'decent' camera as he calls it, so he's grown quite attached to it since he started using it - think he is a bit sentimental over it, you know what kids can be like!

Cheers.

Back