Help me choose a dog

Edit My Images
Yes
We lost our last dog just before Christmas and feel the time is now right to get another. Previously we've always had terriers but currently would consider any breed if suitable. Requirements are
Small size, friendly, not too demanding exercise wise, relatively easy care coat wise and not too many genetic conditions. Not a Jack Russell !! Wife's orders

We are currently considering either a border terrier, which I quite like but I understand they can be escape artists and our last dog was certainly that being 1/3 border and ideally I could do without that again!

The OH seems quite taken by a minature schnauzer. It's not a breed I know a great deal about so any input on this, the border or any other recommendations appreciated

There are a couple of border terriers near me. They are wonderful characters but, so the owners tell me, they are super intelligent and, as soon as they get bored, they misbehave, eat your house and generally go on the rampage.

When I read your requirements I immediately thought whippet or whippet lurcher.

Have you considered a rescue dog? Most rescue centres are well versed regarding various breeds and on some occasions, will be knowledgeable about the particular character of a dog in the shelter.

Have you considered a rescue dog? Most rescue centres are well versed regarding various breeds and on some occasions, will be knowledgeable about the particular character of a dog in the shelter.

Could not agree more. There are so many dogs needing good homes and as above good rescue centres (eg Terrier Rescue) do their best to match dog and potential owner.

As you know terriers already a border/lakeland/patterdale or, as suggested by Simon, a lurcher (they come in a variety of sizes) might be good.

Have a look at a rescue centres - you might find the perfect dog in something you'd never thought of.

Dave

I'm so glad people have mentioned rescue animals.
Our dog (Murphy) was 5months when we got him.
He's a Lurcher (Beddlington / Whippet cross).
Beautiful nature, no bother, great to walk, both on and off lead - never made any fuss/mess and he sleeps for England after a good run on the fields.
Cannot think of life without him now.

Take a look at bichon frise, don’t malt, great temperament and don’t need lots of exercise, I would say the only downfall is they need grooming regularly, short curly hair, so can be done yourself but we take him to groomers every 6-8 weeks but to have no dog hair, I’m happy with that.

Could not agree more. There are so many dogs needing good homes and as above good rescue centres (eg Terrier Rescue) do their best to match dog and potential owner.

As you know terriers already a border/lakeland/patterdale or, as suggested by Simon, a lurcher (they come in a variety of sizes) might be good.

Have a look at a rescue centres - you might find the perfect dog in something you'd never thought of.

Dave
No problem at all with a rescue dog. Our West Highland years ago came from a contact in the breed rescue

poodle every day of the week .

Cross breads tend to have great temperament and rather better overall health prospects.
There are plenty of small cross bread dogs in rescue shelters.
If you buy any pure breed, they are likely to have at least some inherited problems.
wire hair breeds are mostly easier to deal with coat wise.

MIL had a miniature schnauzer, as somebody that generally doesn't like small dogs I did like it. Was great with our daughter, who was only a baby when they got him.

After much deliberation, we opted for a 10 week old border terrier female pup who has been with us for nearly three weeks now.

So far no problems with any excessive chewing or anything else and she is generally behaving very well and certainly seems intelligent and affectionate.

I looked at homing a rescue dog but as we already have a cat the majority of the dogs I saw were deemed as unsuitable housemates for cats, which is partly why I chose a young puppy.

I would just say be open and consider just anything you fancy. Mongrels have the best health (less inbreeding) and could certainly make an excellent pet despite the absence of "papers"

If you ever consider a larger terrier, an Airedale would be a great choice. They are extremely easy going. They can be a little stubborn at times but having had two of them, they are superb companions and a ton of fun.

If I was to chose a smaller terrier (which may be the case in the future), I really like Lakelands, Welsh and Beddlingtons.
Dogs are great.

Beagle? Extremely family friendly, tolerant and easy to train with treats. Don't have a problem with escape attempts so long as they aren't left alone for too long. Harness is essential, collar is a big no.

Ours is an American style, a little smaller and sleeker. We got him from a working dairy farm in Cheshire so no pedigree papers, no health issues...no problem!

Beagle? Extremely family friendly, tolerant and easy to train with treats. Don't have a problem with escape attempts so long as they aren't left alone for too long. Harness is essential, collar is a big no.

Ours is an American style, a little smaller and sleeker. We got him from a working dairy farm in Cheshire so no pedigree papers, no health issues...no problem!

Love Beagles. They're as mad as a box of frogs. :LOL:

Beagle? Extremely family friendly, tolerant and easy to train with treats.
My ex's parents had a Beagle, after it opened the oven door and ate the roast for the second time, they never left it alone again :D

My ex's parents had a Beagle, after it opened the oven door and ate the roast for the second time, they never left it alone again :D
Friends boy has a Beagle, flippin thing eats everything in sight, cant be left alone for a moment (the dog not the boy).

My retired racing greyhound likes Beagles!

View: https://youtu.be/jS4eGRdFHG8

I am in love with greyhounds now. They do have their quirks though, as they're completely unfamiliar with things like stiles, car boots, stairs and things if they come from the tracks, and they can be a bit stubborn. But they're generally very laid back and spend most of their days lazing on the sofa. Very polite self-contained dogs.

Last edited:
I thought I'd update this thread. I think it could be a bit of a search. We've tried a few rescue homes and those dogs with the fewest issues go very quickly often before they reach the website. Whilst I recognise that any dog will require training some of those we have seen have behavioural issues that go beyond my ability to correct.

I thought I'd update this thread. I think it could be a bit of a search. We've tried a few rescue homes and those dogs with the fewest issues go very quickly often before they reach the website. Whilst I recognise that any dog will require training some of those we have seen have behavioural issues that go beyond my ability to correct.

Do you have any good rescue centres close to you? If so, they might be happy to have people walk some of their dogs, just to help them out but also as potential owners. It might help getting yourself noticed.

If there aren't any nearby making contact with a centre can help. The centre we got our dog from is miles away but we talked to them many times before we got him. I don't think we made a special impression on them but I think because we were in continual communication, they knew we were serious.

Good luck.

Dave

Back