Help me decide...is one better than the other?

Name
Drake
Edit My Images
Yes
Slightly different views of an old corral...I'm liking both of them, but am wondering if others see one or the other as a better view. (They've turned out a bit darker than I'd intended, so will fix that when I go back into PS.)

TIA for any thoughts you might have.

Old Corral, Version 1

a Old Corral Version 1a by hunter20ga, on Flickr

Old Corral, Version 2

a Old Corral Version 2b by hunter20ga, on Flickr

Last edited:
I prefer the lighting in No.2 but the snow covered logs are a barrier to me.

The composition of No. 1 makes it a better overall shot with lead-in lines.

Ken

Number one for me, the trees look far more pleasing in the background from that angle of view.

I like number one....

I prefer the lighting in No.2 but the snow covered logs are a barrier to me.

The composition of No. 1 makes it a better overall shot with lead-in lines.

Ken

Number one for me, the trees look far more pleasing in the background from that angle of view.

#2 for me

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your input. I'm tending to agree that number 1 is the stronger composition, though I continue to personally like number 2, in part because it breaks the rules. Unfortunately, it doesn't break them compellingly, I suppose. :LOL:

They are both very good, however No1 just pips it on composition. (y)

Thanks for sharing, David

Personally I'd go for number 2, I love the snow covered logs in the foreground myself, although at the end of the day, you should go with whichever you're happiest with :)

i like no 1 best the angle leads my away to the distant trees :)

Yes...that's a plus.

They are both very good, however No1 just pips it on composition. (y)

Thanks for sharing, David

I appreciate your comments, David. Thank you.

2 for me, just looks more balanced.

Well...and that's part of the reason for this thread. I sometimes yearn for more symmetry in pictures...or maybe it's just that some of my favorite photos happen to be symmetrical. :LOL:

Number 1 for me.

Thanks.

Personally I'd go for number 2, I love the snow covered logs in the foreground myself, although at the end of the day, you should go with whichever you're happiest with :)

Thanks.

No1 compositionally but with the cooler processing of two. Both are begging for some structure and contrast....

I've been trying to cut back on contrast recently. As I've looked back over my photos this year I had gotten into a rut, really pushing up contrast on absolutely everything I was processing. Bad habit. But you're probably right on these; maybe I've gone too far the other way??? :shrug:

2 was the best for me, Drake.
Thanks, Mike.

#1 for me. Great detail. With #2, the FG wood is a bit 'in your face', if you know what I mean.

Both are a bit grey, which I'm sure you'll fix in post.

Cheers.

#1 for me. Great detail. With #2, the FG wood is a bit 'in your face', if you know what I mean.

Both are a bit grey, which I'm sure you'll fix in post.

Cheers.

Thank you, Andy. I'll work on upping the contrast in post.

#1 for me, the composition just works better IMO.

Thanks, Peter, for taking the time to respond.

The composition of number one but the lighting of number 2 would be ideal for me.

Number 1 for me, but I think a smidge more work to introduce some contrast might improve it even further.

Back