help me decide tripod / 50mm canon

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a budget of around £100 as it's my birthday and wanted to get something for the camera, I'm torn between a half decent tripod or the canon 50mm 1.8f lens

Firstly I'm assuming the lens will fit a 300D no problem? also is this what people refer to as the nifty fifty as if it is that will probably sway me.

I'm pretty much already decided on the lens but just wanted a bit more advice before I make a final decision as I don't know how much I would use a tripod in my shots.

If anyone can suggest the best place on the net to buy the lens or a recommended tripod it would be appreciated, for the lens amazon.co.uk seems the best place so far.. .

If you have a 300d then grab a nifty fifty. You'll find the f1.8 a godsend as upping the ISO on the 300D can get ugly.

Do it do it do it!

Cheers,
James

Yes the 50 is also called the nifty fifty and is a great little lens that sucks light in.

Before you decide you need to consider what you want out of your photography, if a tripod will help you achieve your goals more easily than the fifty go with that, otherwise try Kerso on here for your fifty he's usually pretty cheap.

Mark

Oh, I should add that buying 2nd hand you could get BOTH for your budget!

There are niftys on ebay for about £60 all in, and I think Ian (Kerso) can do them new for not much more than that!

Oh, I should add that buying 2nd hand you could get BOTH for your budget!

There are niftys on ebay for about £60 all in, and I think Ian (Kerso) can do them new for not much more than that!

That might actually be a good idea... although I have no idea who Ian is :)

I do a few indoor shots and would like to start getting into some portrait type shots, but I love natural light and the flash is almost never up on my camera so think the lens might be the most important purchase, especially for taking pictures of the dog indoors etc...

Kerso has a thread on here doing the nifty fifty for £70. if you havent got a tripod, have you found you have needed one for anything yet?

i have on occasion thought one would be nice, but never got one as i probably wouldnt have took it with me when i needed it(y)

That might actually be a good idea... although I have no idea who Ian is :)

I do a few indoor shots and would like to start getting into some portrait type shots, but I love natural light and the flash is almost never up on my camera so think the lens might be the most important purchase, especially for taking pictures of the dog indoors etc...

Then the fifty is the way to go imho(y)

Search for Kerso, I got my fifty from him. He gets good reviews on here and is cheap..... just remember if you want something cheap it won't always arrive 2minutes after you've ordered it, mine took a week or so to arrive (it was just after Christmas 08), which was fine by me. If you want instant gratification pay the extra! (y)

Kerso has a thread on here doing the nifty fifty for £70. if you havent got a tripod, have you found you have needed one for anything yet?

i have on occasion thought one would be nice, but never got one as i probably wouldnt have took it with me when i needed it(y)

Well originally thought about it for indoor portraits, something the fifty might do anyway, the only other thing was I wanted to try some things like a one that was in a recent edition of digital camera whwere you take a photo of the same room multiple times with you sitting in different places etc and combine them all together so its on picture with loads of yourself, things like that really but I don't know if wanting to play justifies spending alot on a tripod.

will have a look at his thread, do you know what section it is in? sorry I'm quite new and only lurk about on here

Spend the money on a fifty (for sale threads) and spend a few quid on a cheap tripod, which will help you decide if you want to use a tripod more often, at which point you could invest in a better quality tripod at a later stage. My tripod cost about £20 from 7 day shop.

Thank you very much for the help... think Ian will definitely get my money as it's cheaper by far than anywhere else I have found and cant find a bad word said against him... then as suggested this leaves me a few quid to get a tripod... ok for tripods up to 20-30 quid what's a good place...

you'll hate me for asking but are any of the ones at argos any good?

Well that depends, if you were going to hang a huge piece of glass on one then no definately not. If you want really long exposures in windy conditions then no... if you want to play and see what you can achieve with a tripod then yes they'll do the job and you can upgrade if you want to.

Well that depends, if you were going to hang a huge piece of glass on one then no definately not. If you want really long exposures in windy conditions then no... if you want to play and see what you can achieve with a tripod then yes they'll do the job and you can upgrade if you want to.

Well my biggest lens is the 55-200 kit lens which isn't too heavy, and although would like to have a play at doing some long exposure stuff, I'm not committed enough at the moment to stand in the wind to do it :)

The old saying was that a tripod is the sharpest lens you can buy.

Not as much fun as an actual new lens to play with though!

Steve.

personally I would advise against the cheap tripod route, rather go for a better quality secondhand one from somebody reputable on here perhaps.

A lot of people are upgrading to carbon fibre tripods so there is always a turnover, and if you aren't intending to go hiking with it then an extra 500g or so isn't going to make much difference to you.

A flimsy tripod will soon disappoint you, and then it will be wasted money.

personally I would advise against the cheap tripod route, rather go for a better quality secondhand one from somebody reputable on here perhaps.

A lot of people are upgrading to carbon fibre tripods so there is always a turnover, and if you aren't intending to go hiking with it then an extra 500g or so isn't going to make much difference to you.

A flimsy tripod will soon disappoint you, and then it will be wasted money.

I might keep an eye out for tripods on here then, just sent a PM to Kerso about the lens.

I bought a £25 Tripod from digitaldepot when they were in their hayday. It's a Velbon and nothing special, but as long as you're not using long telephotos, it's balanced, sturdy and does the job.

Oh and it won't rust if it gets wet. Handy.

Back