Help me get it right 1st time with wireless triggers

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
So I have a Canon 5d Mk1.

I am wanting to buy a hotshoe flash, probably the 580EX II and a wireless flash trigger. The canon one seems really expensive (ST-E2), and the Phottix Stratto II seems to offer me what I need, I think. Do I have to go with Canon for it to adjust the flash power or is that what the TTL thing is about on the Stratto?

If it helps, I am wanting to do some outdoor climbing/bouldering shots, so I will be mainly using the flash away from the camera, and the camera could be 20m away from the flash, but quite close to a climber for example.

I just don't want to spend money on a trigger that i'm left wanting with, at the same time I don't want to buy something that's unnecessarily expensive.

Thanks for any feedback this may get.

Oh, and keep it simple please :)

Last edited:
There are a few options:

itsdavedotnet's suggestion of the rf603 is the cheapest option and works very well - but it limits you to setting the power of your flash manually (and on the flash itself).

The phottix Stratos are a step up in price and functionality. They allow you to use off camera flashes if you set the power manually, whilst having an on-camera flash using TTL. You can't use TTL flash off-camera.

The ST-E2 and its non-Canon equivalents (which are slightly cheaper) allow full TTL off-camera, but at two costs. One is the price - the other is that it uses infra-red signals rather than radio signals. This means that you need line of sight (direct or reflected) which limits your range indoors to about 10-15m and outdoors to about half that. In direct sunlight you may find that the range is down to just a couple of meters.

The top-end options are the Pocket-Wizards (Flex and/or Mini) or RadioPoppers - they are pricier (approx £350 for a transmitter and receiver) but give you full TTL off-camera using radio signals. I get around a 60m range outdoors without issues.

Mark thank you so much for that answer. Didn't really want to spend that kind of money.

I assume that if I just used a cheapo trigger, I have to set the power of the flash manually on the flash head, is that correct?

I assume that if I just used a cheapo trigger, I have to set the power of the flash manually on the flash head, is that correct?
They might be el cheapo, but they work fine. At least they sync super at 1/160, a sliver of shutter curtain visible at 1/200.

Back