Help- my 400D has died!

Edit My Images
No
I have a Canon EOS 400D which has developed a fault and I can't take photos.
Just tried using it and when the shutter opens as I take the shot, the image I see in the viewfinder shifts slightly downwards for a brief moment. Normally when I release the shutter, the view through the viewfinder remains the same, but it's now definitely being altered when I click the shutter.
This I could live with, but more significantly I don't see a photo there. When I switch to playback mode the frames I took are all blank. It does look like it's taking pictures as the number of shots remaining total does go down after each click of the shutter, but there's nothing to view.
I've tried using different settings, different lenses etc. but it's always the same.
Any ideas? Or has my camera died and gone to EOS heaven?

im no expert but it sounds like the mirror mechanism is kaput. its not moving out of the way correctly to allow the sensor to see.

have you fired a few off with no lens on looking inside the camera, or gently raising the mirror with your finger?

I wouldnt worry about this, sounds like the common 'battery glitch' whereby the battery might show half full but is actually empty - with no warning given which locks the shutter and powers down the camera.

Sounds obvious but have you tried re-charging the battery (or using a new one?).

EDIT - I've just read your post fully - not sure this is anything to do with the battery now, lol!! (the first part did when I wrote my response)

Got to be honest flat battery came to my mind. Have you tried to restore back to factory settings just in case youve altered something that is keeping the mirror up as I dont know a lot about the technical side someone else on here my give better advice
Bob

Sounds like a problem with the mirror box. Have you tried downloading pictures to you computer? Do they display any pictures on the computer screen?

Hi
Battery was and is fully charged.
Have connected to computer and all images I took are just black.
How do you restore to default settings?

Just took a shot without the lens on and mirror is hardly moving (a millimeter or two) which I think is the issue?

so there is your answer , the mirror mech is kaput :shake:

how many shots has the camera taken roughly. i dont know how much a new mech costs but if its like a shutter replacement it might not be economical to repair.

Back