Help! my alt key does not work.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there a way of testing the alt key on my laptop other than attempting to use it, I am not that fluent with computers so you may understand or even laugh:LOL: when I say I have never used the key before but tonight when I have attempted to use the clone stamp in CS3 it does not appear to work.

Could it have been disabled in some way or is my out of warranty lappy boogered.:(

You could try holding alt and pressing f4 - If this page closes then it is working :)

press Alt and one of your left/right arrow keys , it should go forwards/backwards through your pages on internet explorer

You could try holding alt and pressing f4 - If this page closes then it is working :)

press Alt and one of your left/right arrow keys , it should go forwards/backwards through your pages on internet explorer

Nothing happens:(

Boogered:(

Annoying if it is as I have managed so far not to use it, it was not a cheap one being the latest Toshiba Satellite at the time IIRC 2 years ago.:(

What type of computer do you have? Assuming PC [as 95% of the population...], does it work in any other applications - in 99% of PC apps, it will highlight/select the menu bar [e.g. file, edit, etc. in word].

Also - just to check - there are usually [even on laptops] two alt keys - one marked alt, the other marked "alt gr" - you should be using alt [to the left of the space bar].

I don't know of any way to disable alt [although it would be a great practical joke tool if I did :naughty:], so if that isn't working, it might be, as you suggest "boogered".

The only other thing worth checking is to see whether you've managed to activate any of windows' "accessibility" options - you'll find them under the control panel, and some of them can do very strange things with your keyboard!

Hope that helps!

Ahh!! did not notice that bit:bonk:

I use Vista on Firefox but it does work in Explorer :shrug:

What type of computer do you have? Assuming PC [as 95% of the population...], does it work in any other applications - in 99% of PC apps, it will highlight/select the menu bar [e.g. file, edit, etc. in word].

Also - just to check - there are usually [even on laptops] two alt keys - one marked alt, the other marked "alt gr" - you should be using alt [to the left of the space bar].

I don't know of any way to disable alt [although it would be a great practical joke tool if I did :naughty:], so if that isn't working, it might be, as you suggest "boogered".

The only other thing worth checking is to see whether you've managed to activate any of windows' "accessibility" options - you'll find them under the control panel, and some of them can do very strange things with your keyboard!

Hope that helps!

Sorry, did not check for further replies before posting my last reply.

I will have a look at what you suggest in the options.(y)

Ahh!! did not notice that bit:bonk:

I use Vista on Firefox but it does work in Explorer :shrug:

Just had someone look at it for me and it is still not working after all, I was looking in the wrong place, it was just the right and left keys working normally on their own highlighting my images.

Ah well, unless it is a software thing, or I can fix it, or manage plugging a keyboard in then it will have to be a new laptop.

what laptop is it? usually there are many replacements available on ebay etc and are only 2-3 screws and a ribbon cable to replace.

it may even be the ribbon cable has come semi unseated..

Son of Galaxy66 here trying to sort this bloody computer out!

Tested using the following:

http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm

Somehow the following keys don't do anything:

Left ALT
Right ALT
PrtSc (This DEFINITELY worked a few weeks back as I was teaching my dad how to do screenshots of his desktop...)
Scroll Lock

The locale for the keyboard and pc is set to UK, it's a Toshiba Satellite P100 laptop running Vista, (which I have a particular dislike of!)

I can't see how it could be a hardware issue, but can't think of what it could be - no function lock keys or anything like that, num-lock works as expected...

Confused :thinking:

Just a thought - if it is a laptop is there some 'func' IE function key on, which changes some keys to alternate versions. Though I am not sure I have ever seen a second funtion on the scroll lock button.

Were just about to try this to fix the initial Left ALT key issue - was going to map it to the Scroll Lock until we found that wasn't working either!!

Suppose it could be a solution, but there *must* be some other issue going on here - I'm wondering if some Windows update has somehow managed to knacker the keyboard mappings... can't find a keyboard driver on the Toshiba site to try though...

Son of Galaxy66

keyboards dont generally have drivers as such..

id be tempted to still check the keyboard connection. if it is a knackered keyboard then good news is theyre about 20-30 punds on ebay.

mrgas said:
Is system restore worth trying ?

Might try this - if it doesn't help can you roll forward again in Vista?...

neil_g said:
id be tempted to still check the keyboard connection. if it is a knackered keyboard then good news is theyre about 20-30 punds on ebay.

Might try this when we have time to sit down with the right tools - never taken a laptop apart before, only desktops, but can't imagine it'll be too difficult?...

SOG (Son of Galaxy66)

If you want me to have a look at this next week then I will be happy to :)

i thin toshiba have guides for things like that but i'll have a rummage around tomorrow

Thanks!

If you want me to have a look at this next week then I will be happy to :)

Might advise Dad to do this - I'm a bit stumped to be honest and I need to settle down to a nice beer now! Cheers!

SOG

Thanks!

Might advise Dad to do this - I'm a bit stumped to be honest and I need to settle down to a nice beer now! Cheers!

SOG

No problem at all, I used to fix them in a previous life :)

Isn't this a great forum with lots of friendly helpful folk :)

Galaxy Senior:)

those strips are a little tricky to get off. they do feel like they will break then youre prying them off. give it a bit of a wiggle when youre cafefully pulling it up and it should come free easily.

Back