HELP needed - accurate colours - LR3, win 7 & canon 9000

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Somethings not right, screen is calibrated, I have the paper profiles but the prints are not looking right

using lightroom 3 (sometimes photoshop)

what should manage the colours - windows 7 or the application?
what should the properties be on the printer

It's driving me nuts - so many thanks in advance for any clues

- I am using genuine canon inks and Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper

Thanks

Sheridan

What is the Galerie Smooth like? I have just put some of the Lustre into my 9500 and am impressed.

When you downloaded the Illford profile, there was a PDF in it. That contains the correct information for how to print.
The profile name, ISGLD_blah_blah_blah contains details which need to be decoded in order to set the settings correctly.
i.e. on the lustre one, there was a G code, which meant that I set the paper setting to glossy. It may be different for yours.

Generic settings seem to be, Photoshop/Lightroom manages colours. Set the profile to be used in Photoshop/Lightroom print options. Under preferences, go to manual colour settings, and set the ICC to none (if your profile ends with an n).

Assuming your ICC profile is similar to:
IGSPP11_CANP9500 Mark II_PPPGIIn.icc
(from the PDF)
In Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® go to the “Print” window, scroll down on the right side to “Print
Job”. Select “Other” in the “Printer Profile” field, under “Color Management” and make sure to
choose (check box) the correct profile (saved name). Press “OK”, set the “Rendering Intent:” to
“Relative Colorimetric*” and go to “Print Settings…” or “Print…” select the media type
required (refer to Appendix A3) then proceed to 2. Color Management, below.

The profile then has PPPG as a code, so select: PPPG II: Photo Paper Plus Glossy II as the paper type.
And it ends in an 'n', so go to the preferences, select Manual, Colour Intensity, and select None for colour management options. (i.e. not printer, not ICC)

thanks cold penguin

done all of the above and still not right - getting to much red compared to screen in lightroom

the profile name is IGSPP9_CANP9000_PPPGn so under properties i have the media type set to Photo Paper Plus Glossy, color/intensity set to manual, manual colour adjustment tab is all zero'd, and under matching tab color correction is set to none (the other options were dribver matching or ICM)

any thoughts?

How too red is it?
Is it possible that the printer itself is not happy? Have you tried printing a head-alignment image/nozzle check.
Difficult to tell from those really, but my previous printer was definitely over-magenta'ing the nozzle check image in comparison with the other colours (in addition to doing the same to documents).
Do you have any other paper, or have you tried the Canon Easyprint that came with the printer?
Can you post an example image here (pre-print), it could be that your monitor is too green of course, because the calibrator is out..... (I have read that there are apparently some issues with Win7 and calibration profiles, I am looking forward to this fun soon...)

Sorry I can't help much more than that, using the settings above 'fixed' my immediate problem.

(BTW, is there a defaults button on your colour correction/matching screen. I think my sliders were in the middle, just want to confirm that they are not set to the left on your system)

OK you have calibrated your screen, can I ask what software you used and what parameters you used. I may be on of these may be causing the problem.

In order to ascertain the degree of redness can you say what corrections you would need to apply in Lightroom to get the screen to match the print

You could try using perceptual as the rendering intent. This maintains the "Visual" relationships with colours

Last edited:
it's slightlt redened / darkened - it's not disatourous but significant enough to make me want to send for prints rather print them my self

calibrated with gretag macbeth i1Pro and Match3 software - it's pretty good stuff - not sure what you mean by parameters, but it's pretty thorough - guides the RGB setting on the screen and then builds and installs a colour profile

haven't tried making any corrections in lightroom to make it match the print - what process would you suggext for this?

would i be better of building a print prfile with the gretag rether than finding the solution with the paper profile and software

thanks again all for your help

I think what chappers is suggesting, is to take an image that you have already printed (and being yesterday since you printed last I guess it must have dried properly by now, the quoted drying time for the lustre paper and my printer is 24 hours), then compare it side by side to the image that was printed on screen. Use the ?saturation? and brightness controls and one slider at a time adjust until the image on screen matches the image which has been printed.
If you then report on here what those slider values are, it will give an indication as to how much difference there is.
Otherwise, it is quite difficult to determine accurately here how much effect there is. It could be that creating a new profile through your calibrator might be enough, or it could be that the image being sent to the monitor is still out-of-whack.

Have you also tried printing a known-good-image? There are various images available on this site (which is good for other things too)
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/test_images.html
which should be loaded, and printed without modification (only print settings changed/set correctly). The image printed should look correct.
If the printed image does not look correct to your eyes (without comparison to the screen), then obviously there is a requirement to change the driver settings/profile.

coldpenguin is right. I'm trying to gauge how far out the image is.

I have used the i-one and the X-Rite software. It's very good and should give good results. Did you opt to set the white point via the controls on the monitor or did you let the software do it? You can get slightly different results, but not drastically different using the two approaches.

I would suggest you try re profiling your monitor. Try a contrast of 2.2 and a white point of 6500k if you've not already used these parameters.

I'm not familiar with the Canon printers, ( I'm and Epson user ) but have you enables the colour management function ? As I said not being a Canon printer user I'm not sure the correct way to set up your machine. However I found this on the web which may help.. Apologies if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs :LOL:

Last edited:
thanks for help all - will try and apply this weekend

Chappers please do not apologise "Apologies if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs " if i haven't got the brains to get decent colours out of a package with a good monitor and a good printer then i should be going back to egg sucking school :)

Just a stupid question, are you looking at the prints under normal artificial light? This will make them look a lot warmer than in daylight

Just a stupid question, are you looking at the prints under normal artificial light? This will make them look a lot warmer than in daylight

Good idea, If you don't have a light you can truly trust, try taking a photo of the print, but with the flash on.

Back