Help needed choosing camera please.....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello again all :D

I havent posted here in a while due to family and other commitments (this years been a bad one) :shrug:

Anyway enough of that :p ....... i need help choosing a camera for my dyslexic son who is showing a very keen interest in photography (well with me and Pepsi for parents i spose it just follows really LOL) ........ now my problems are as follows .........

1. I have a budget of £100 give or take a tenner :(

2. It needs to have a normal viewfinder as his dyslexia means he mostly copies me and Mum and i have a DSLR so the digital screen isnt an option for me.

3. It most be pretty tough ...... he's 11 yrs old and clumsy.

4. It must have very easy to understand controls, menu's etc as he struggles to read blesss him.

5. Minimum 8million pixels.

I know it's a tall order but i'm sure that with the advice i've had here in the past this is the right place to ask ........ or rather the ONLY place to ask (y)

Many thanks in advance guys n gals (y)

4. It must have very easy to understand controls, menu's etc as he struggles to read blesss him.

The default options on most point and shoot cameras are adequate for just taking a few shots.

5. Minimum 8million pixels.
Ehh! Why? You can get a perfectly good picture from a 4Mp+ point and shoot!

Most point and shoot cameras are in the 5Mp+ region now even at the lower end but don't right off a perfectly good camera because it is only 5Mp.

I have an IXUS 500 which takes fantastic point and shoot shots, alright I have moved on now but the shots are still perfectly good. I can print them at A4 or even A3 and they are still good.

In fact it might be worth looking at an IXUS they are very well built and the quality of finish and pictures taken are very good. Now that they have moved on to about 10Mp you should be able to pick up a 6Mp-8Mp one at a decent discount.

I would agree with the pixel count comments....what is the requirement to have 8Mp?

You mention "11 yrs old and clumsy"....the two are irrevocably tied together, I'm sure. I would look for a camera that has an internal zoom/lens mechanism rather than an extending front element. The weak point with any P&S, as far as robustness goes, is the extending element and they can't survive a drop or sharp knock.

Bob

I think you're going to have to head down to a camera shop and try one for yourself, all compacts are easy to use if you leave them on automatic so you really need to get hands on.

Thanks guys :D

RE: 8m pixels ........ perhaps that was just me being a camera tart :p lol

Will be going xmas shopping morrow so will probably have my work cut out for me looking at camera's ........... oh the joys of being a dad :D (might even treat myself while i'm at it) ;)

Back