Help needed for college entry

im not being mean, and i'm not saying that they only accepted him because they had spaces to fill but i was countering a comment previously made. i'm very happy he got in and nowadays in this economy it's the best thing to do, my uncle went back to uni to do computer programming when the economy was hit hard and he declared bankrupcy on his business.

im very happy for the OP, its just unusual to hand in pictures of cats and me personally wouldn't have done it (maybe its just an acquired taste because i hate cats) but i'm happy and glad he got in:clap:

Don't worry about someone who couldn't do better that taking shots of flowers that happened to be sitting around, animals are much harder to get well composed pictures of!

like i said i wouldn't go about declaring that, especially on a photography forum animals are just as hard as flowers and vice versa. they both require skill and patience.

I think you may have just hit on an acceptable upgrade path that won't land you in the dog-house...lol

Get a D700 for yourself though...you know it makes sense...:D

I have a D700 already :) The D300 would replace the D200 as my backup camera :)

:clap: Congratulations Cameron!

I know very little about photography but lots about cats :love: (hence my user name!) :love: - and even the most domesticated cat rarely does what you want it to do for very long - the pictures are really good and you've caught them in some great poses!

Also, as a teacher, one of the things I look for in my sixth formers is initiative and commitment to the course they say they want to do - you've clearly shown that in your project and I'm sure the tutors at the College recognised a young man who was really keen to get on the course to study the subject in more depth.

I agree ... :thinking: where's that link to the other pics - please?

Liz

like i said i wouldn't go about declaring that, especially on a photography forum animals are just as hard as flowers and vice versa. they both require skill and patience.

Thank you, that was the point I was making. The project was to pick a tog you really like and then copy their style! THIS is the reason for the cat pictures as his favourite togs are those 2 french ones that do African wildlife. He then treated the cats as wildlife stalking them and taking pictures. The lecturer sounded really rather happy with his project. Now he has all summer to practice all manner of different styles including studio work now.

Thank you, that was the point I was making. The project was to pick a tog you really like and then copy their style! THIS is the reason for the cat pictures as his favourite togs are those 2 french ones that do African wildlife. He then treated the cats as wildlife stalking them and taking pictures. The lecturer sounded really rather happy with his project. Now he has all summer to practice all manner of different styles including studio work now.

oh my god i feel like such a D-head! i thought it was to do with a portfolio and that he used them images for the interview, i know what he means now because i was given a task that i need to do before the enrolment session and i have to get about 10 abstract photo's, i understand the thread now:bonk:

oh my god i feel like such a D-head! i thought it was to do with a portfolio and that he used them images for the interview, i know what he means now because i was given a task that i need to do before the enrolment session and i have to get about 10 abstract photo's, i understand the thread now:bonk:

That's good. Thank you for posting your latest post.

For those who didn't read the thread from the beginning, he had to:

(me paraphrasing, as I don't have the document in front of me)
... write a paragraph about documentary photography and what it means to you
... choose a photographer who inspires you, and document an aspect of your life using their style
... pick at least four of their images and say why you like them. Talk about the photographic techniques used
... visit a photography exhibition and write a review about the exhibition

He received the letter and had only six days before it had to be handed in! He worked extremely hard for those six days, to demonstrate his enthusiasm and the skills he has already acquired.

The acceptance letter for the OVERSUBSCRIBED and difficult to get onto course, said:

"... we observed your submission in detail and are delighted to accept your submission for entry onto our Digital Photography course.

It is a very demanding course and we think you have demonstrated the skills to be successful and happy at college..."

He had to do this because he wasn't able to take GCSE art at school (although he wanted to, and is very good at art). People who did do art, did not necessarily gain entry to the course - they had to get a high enough grade - we were told this when discussing entry onto the course, with the tutor. They take the highest grades from those doing art, who want to do the course, and they grade the entry portfolios (from those not doing GCSE art), in a similar fashion, and take the highest grades from those too. So Cameron will have beaten some folks who took art, but didn't do well enough to gain entry.

We are thrilled that he has been accepted. I apologise if I have been more than a little defensive at times in this thread, but there have been some surprisingly negative comments directed at a young lad who has only just (in the last couple of months) become interested in photography - but interested to the extent that he's an extremely quick learner, and wants to do this for a career.

He's been away for a couple of days, and so has not had much chance to reply to people. He's home soon, so no doubt he'll have something to say to everyone who has supported him.

My thanks also to EVERYONE who has supported him. We (including Cameron) are happy with, and can cope with constructive criticism, but out and out negativity is seldom very helpful. But to end on a positive note - a big THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I only posted 6 of my pictures because that is the limit for a post but I have just created a Flickr account and uploaded the whole project's pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51889209@N08/sets/72157624442775680/

Hope you like them.

You didn't put the best one in this thread to my eyes. This one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51889209@N08/4771441676/

You might have missed perfect focus by half an inch (and as a side effect of that I'd blur the dirt out in the bottom right in PP...it's a bit distracting) but the stance and the composition of it are both excellent.

Best of luck with your A-level. I'm sure when you're working on something with more than 6 days to spend on it you are going to come out with some cracking images.

Sorry that was out of line, I thought you were being mean, your later posts explains you misunderstood what it was for. :nuts:

Lovely pictures cam!

Im back! :D Thankyou for all of your lovely messages and support. Thankyou also for the constructive criticism, which i appreciate and take on board. I m very happy that i got in and pleased to hear that you are all happy for me too. (y)

Mastertrinity, i appreciate that you misunderstood and that you now undderstand, but i would have thought that reading all of the thread first would have given you an understanding of my objective. And the part about flowers, i had to photograph an aspect of my life (as has been said earlier in the post) and to be honest, i would not say that flowers play a major role in my life :LOL:

and to be honest, i would not say that flowers play a major role in my life :LOL:

Pah! What kind of a lad are you!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL: Flowers are so... err.... flowery?
:LOL:

Last edited:
Mastertrinity, i appreciate that you misunderstood and that you now undderstand, but i would have thought that reading all of the thread first would have given you an understanding of my objective. And the part about flowers, i had to photograph an aspect of my life (as has been said earlier in the post) and to be honest, i would not say that flowers play a major role in my life :LOL:

lol i never had the time and patience to go through 6 pages of comments i just thought it was another "interview coming up what should i present" sorta thing.

as for the flower comment, they don't exactly play a major role in my life, i dont know a daisy from a daffodil (literally):D

i do like dead flowers though especially as i can mess about with textures in photoshop.

I got a letter from the college this morning saying that they are delighted to offer me a place on the photography A level and look forward to seeing me on the course.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations Cam !!!!

(Not that I ever had any doubts after the amount of effort that you put into it)

Given that you're new to this and the time limit you had I think those are brilliant . . . in fact, even without those limitations they would still be good. Cats are not easy to capture at all and you've got the focus and DoF spot on with all of them.

Some good advice already given about watching out for distracting backgrounds (No.1) and framing so that you don't chop off part of the tail / body.

Personally, my favourite is No.6.
I don't think it's technically the strongest photo of the set, but for me it's the one that most captures what you set out to do.
The sense of movement, the oblivion to the camera and that pose really give it a "wildlife feel". Well Done (y)

Now, when is the D3x going to be bought? Yes, I believe a D3x is the best addition to the cowasaki family of photographers; possibly the most photographically-committed family I know!

Now, when is the D3x going to be bought? Yes, I believe a D3x is the best addition to the cowasaki family of photographers; possibly the most photographically-committed family I know!

It is that or a Hassleblad :nuts:

Well it is enrolment day......

AND exam results day :)

1 x A*
3 x A
6 x B
1 x C

All three sciences, maths, ICT and 2 English so I think that he should get into college and therefore onto the course now. Especially after being told how well he did in the project.

:clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
Well done to the young Cowasaki. (y)

1 x A*
3 x A
6 x B
1 x C

All three sciences, maths, ICT and 2 English so I think that he should get into college and therefore onto the course now. Especially after being told how well he did in the project.

well done to the young cowasaki! a very good set of results there :)

1 x A*
3 x A
6 x B
1 x C

Excellent results - well done

1 x A*
3 x A
6 x B
1 x C

Very well done there (y) :clap:.

Got lots of useful brain cells in that head, must be taking after his mum :p!

Well done Cameron! Hope my kids do as well when they are your age.

Back