Help needed in getting a Domain name

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to get a Domain name, to set up a website in the future, thing is i don't have a clue in as much as the best place to purchase from, i looked at a couple of site's and typed in a name i had chosen, the one said it was already taken, and the other one said it was available, so not sure what's really going on there, however i'm guessing like most other things there are some reputable sellers and some scammers, so what i'm after is a trusted site that any of you folks know, and some advice in the price i should be looking to pay without getting ripped off, so any help and advice will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance (y)

:thinking:

Think i went with 123 " search web" and about 10 quid for 2 years .

works well enough with my site so far ;)

md(y)

I'm sure you will get lots of differing opinions, but my brother uses these people http://www.3ix.org/ He is very happy with the service and the hosting only costs him £15/year. He also got a gallery with it to put his photos on.

The cost of the domain will be around £5 for two years, but I dont know anybody who offers a better hosting price.

krystal hosting, amazing service, very popular reliable wellknown
and affordable

I also have been thinking about setting up a web site but know nothing about whats involved. A friend recomended using Mr Site. What are your thoughts on using this ?.

Just remember you don't 'buy' a domain name' you register it to you for (usually) two years - so long as you keep renewing on time it is effectively yours as long as you want it.

I'm looking to get a Domain name, to set up a website in the future, thing is i don't have a clue in as much as the best place to purchase from, i looked at a couple of site's and typed in a name i had chosen, the one said it was already taken, and the other one said it was available, so not sure what's really going on there, however i'm guessing like most other things there are some reputable sellers and some scammers, so what i'm after is a trusted site that any of you folks know, and some advice in the price i should be looking to pay without getting ripped off, so any help and advice will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance (y)

Not much wrong with the service at Heart Internet (for domain + hosting), or 1&1 for registration only

There are 2 things you need to think about

1. Do you want to host at the same place as you register the doman
2. What facilities do you need from your hosting

We log into plenty of hosts a week, and have seen plenty of domain / hosting packages. The only things you really want to know are - how easy is it to move or transfer my domain (in a couple of years time or whenever, and am you in 100% control of everything, without additional charges

We would be happy to advise you on this (as we commercially design websites and sort hosting / domains all day every day, week in week out)

a freind of mine uses mrsite for his website but finds it a bit restricted I went with photium which comes with a free domain name and support is marvelous

Don't confuse "just domain registration", with what are sites that provides hosting and a cheap site builder (allong with registration if needed)

I also have been thinking about setting up a web site but know nothing about whats involved. A friend recomended using Mr Site. What are your thoughts on using this ?.

I am biased

Comparing a website from Mr Site to a website designed for you, is like comparing what you get in macdonalds, and what you get served in a decent reaturant

In macdonalds, you get the same boring stuff as the next customer. In the decent resturant, youg get a varied menu, and youcan even ask the chef to prepare something special

I purchase my domains from two different companies, .uk domains from UKReg and .com domains from Namecheap

I also keep my domain name purchases totally separate form my hosting purchases.

IMHO I would also try and avoid going for one of those hosting deals that come with a free domain name as well - often the domain is not registered in your name and the offer is only valid for the time you are hosted with them so should you decide to move on for what ever reason you may well find you have lost your domain name as well

I agree with registering the domain name AWAY from a hoster offering it as part of a deal. Just in case you want to move your website away from that host, you will save yourself a LOT of hassle.

I personally use, 123-reg.co.uk for registrations and www.aventurehost.com for my webspace.

Both have been brilliant for me.

personally i dont recommend 123, theives stole a lot of money from me and never even acknowledged my complaint, wont touch them with a large pole

Godaddy are very good, they always get back to your quickly with any queries and always seem to be a lot cheaper for domain names.

Great guy's thanks for all the replies, so which would be best for just the domain name on it's own without any further hassle so i could change hosts if needed/wanted too, also would site's like "clikpic" be able to host my chosen domain name, as am i right in thinking these sort of site's do any updating and maintenance in there price's, many thanks in advance again (y)

Back