Help needed Manfrotto MN-393

Name
Lee Bond
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone I am new here and I wondred if ayone could help. I have a 40D and my longest lens is the Sigma 50-500. I have just upgraded my tripod to the Manfrotto 055XPROB, I am interested in a gimbal head, but Winmberly is out of my price range at the moment, I have seen the manfrotto MN-393, and I wondered if anyone has experience with gear the same as, or heavier than mine on this set up.

Lee

Hi Lee,
I use the 393 with my D300 with battery grip and Nikon 200-400mm f4 on a monopod. Its a great bit of kit. Nice and sturdy.
I havent used a wimberly so I suppose its fair to say that I can't compare the two. But for the money the 393 is a good option.

Kev.

The 393 has been named several different titles by Manfrotto and has been the recipient of at least two number designations (3421 and 393) and these changes have been since July of 2007 when I purchased my unit.

I am extremely impressed with all aspects of this mount for use with long lenses and especially for following moving subjects. I can easily balance my 40D camera with a 400mm f/5.6L lens and shoot from either a sturdy monopod (I use a Manfrotto 681) or from an equally sturdy tripod (I use a Giottos MT-8180). The camera/lens can be balanced so that finger pressure will move it but, it will not move unless pressure is applied.

Although I use it with the 400mm f/5.6L package; I would have no hesitation in opting to use the 393 for a much heavier lens. here is a site on Philippine Bird Photography which illustrates the 393 with some very large and heavy lenses:

http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone/testequipment

Here is a two part review which was posted on the Nikonian Website...

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/manfrotto_393/393_1.html

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/manfrotto_393/393_2.html

Now, I have a few comments from my personal use of this gimbal rig.

1. The way that Manfrotto illustrates the use of this rig is extremely clumsy for me even with the smaller 400mm f/5.6L lens and would be almost impossible if used with a larger lens such as is illustrated in the equipment section of the Philippine Bird Website. Manfrotto persists in showing the camera/lens mounted so that the inside "U" shaped mount is on the top and the camera is slung under the mount. I could never work with this configuration and I don't know anyone who uses the 393 this way.

Manfrotto illustration:

http://www.adorama.com/BG3421.html?searchinfo=manfrotto 393&item_no=1

2. Manfrotto will tell you that it is impossible to mount a flash using the 393 however, I found an illustration for a flash bracket simply fabricated from an inexpensive piece of flat aluminum stock available at most home improvement centers and a couple of nuts and bolts. It is fabricated by simply bending the aluminum bar into a "U" shape and mounting it inverted over the camera/lens to the "U" shaped inside arm.
I will be happy to send the illustration to anyone who contacts me but, placing an image on this site is more trouble than I wish to go through.

3. I prefer using a good Arca compatible ball head when doing other than following moving subjects.

I really like this unit and the price is right... By the way, it comes with its own mounting plate. Unfortunately the quick release is not Arca compatible. But, then again, nothing distributed by Manfrotto is Arca compatible....

Both thanks for the info, based on your comments, I have put one in the shopping basket, Just have to wait for a good time to tell the wife then i'll click purchase :)

Alternatively, if you have a decent ballhead, you could opt for a Wimberley Sidekick, or for a full gimbal head, the Kirk Cobra is very well designed. Don't have a Cobra, not even a pet one :LOL: but it very sturdy and cheaper the the Wimberley Gimbal II

The total package weight of the 393, 40D and 400mm f/5.6L lens is over three kilos. Make sure that your tripod/monopod can handle a load that heavy. I usually don't like to support any more than 1/2 or so of the manufacturers recommended maximum weight.

Back