Help needed on buying a tablet - Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab2 etc ....

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Hi Everyone :)

I have about £180 to spend on a tablet and am at a loss as to which is the best for my money.

I will mainly use it for browsing the web, viewing photos / videos, listening to music and playing games / apps. I won't be doing much reading so I am not bothered about that side of things.

I keep coming back to the Google Nexus 7 - I can get it for £159 + postage from Google in the 8GB model or I can pay a little more and buy the 16GB model for £190 from Currys/Comet/PC World.

Do people tend to run up the memory or should the 8GB model be OK?
I have also found the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 for £200 with £30 cashback - would this be a better alternative? How about the Amazon Kindle Fire HD - or is this aimed for books primarily?

I have just read that Google are announcing a new range of Nexus Tablets next week - should I hang fire? Are there any other choices I should be considering?

I read on another forum that the Nexus 7 doesn't run some apps due to the firmware - can anybody shed any light on this?

Many Thanks for any help - it is genuinely appreciated :)

Cheers, Rob

P.S - One final thing, I see the Nexus 7 has Chrome built in, has it a good setup for bookmarks - can I arrange them into categories etc etc? That is something that would be useful to me.

pretty sure you can sync your chrome bookmarks from your pc with your mobile device.

I have a Xoom and love it, but would have probably got a nexus if they were out when I was looking.

Doesnt run apps such as? Examples?

Phil

If you use Chrome on your desktop, it will sync almost everything with the Nexus 7 Chrome. I don't know which apps it won't run, mine has worked fine with everything I've tried it with.

Have to say I went with the Nexus as it's a Google sponsored device and since Google support Android....

I have just read that Google are announcing a new range of Nexus Tablets next week - should I hang fire? .

Internet rumours have the 8GB device being replaced with the 16GB for the same (£159) price, so I'd wait a bit ;)

oh, and I've not found anything that my Nexus 7 doesn't run yet :D

Is there an app that'll let me edit MS Office documents on these tablets?

Pete

First decision is whether you want a 10" or 7" device - it may not sound like much, but in my opinion the difference is very significant.

The screen area for a 10 inch device is about double the screen area of a 7 inch device.

Just to confuse things, apple are expected to launch an ipad mini today with a 7.8 inch screen, and we can expect to see a nexus 10 out sometime as well.

rjmartin said:
Hi Everyone :)

How about the Amazon Kindle Fire HD - or is this aimed for books primarily?

The kindle fire is not just aimed at books (they still sell the standard kindle for that) so it's a proper (& popular in the US) competitor for the other tablets you've mentioned.

I've also read that amazon are actually selling it at a loss to get them into as many homes as possible.

For myself I can't be any more helpful than that as I've not owned a tablet yet. (MS Surface should be with me this Friday/ early next week though!)

Thanks for the replies so far - at present I am slightly edging towards the Google Nexus 7. Whilst the Samsung is a lovely tablet it is a year old whereas the Nexus is a lot newer on the market with a more up to date version of Android. The iPad Mini is going to start at £269 so that's out of my budget and I like the Kindle Fire HD but I have been reading that the android store is more limited with that tablet ....

Think Apple has made a mistake with the ipad mini, £269 is overpriced, especially without a retina display. I think the Nexus 7 will sell very well this Christmas.

I am waiting to get one as well but I would hang on to see what others are offering. My oh has got an iPad 2 but it's too big IMO. A 7 inch would be ideal.

I picked up a 16gb Nexus 7 a few weeks back and am very very impressed with it. The size, thinness, battery life and screen are all excellent. The killer feature is the operating system which blows iOS into the weeds.

You also get £15 credit in the Google Play store which is handy.

It comes with Google Drive for docs, spreadsheets etc.

The benefit over a larger tablet like the iPad is just how portable it is, and light and easy to hold. I've donated my iPad to my wife now.

So, highly recommended.

You also get £15 credit in the Google Play store which is handy.
I think that finished a couple of weeks ago... It's why you can get them for £180-£185 now...

Thanks again guys - I picked up a 16GB Nexus 7 for the now lower price of £169 at HMV earlier today. I didn't bother to wait the extra week for the 32GB as the 16GB has more than enough space for me & I couldn't justify spending the extra £30.

Very pleased with it so far :)

Cheers, Rob

Have been looking into the same ones and have decided I will go for the nexus. I have 2 vegas which are okay but the screen is not good and the size is big for use on the tube..

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Maybe not then.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have amended a basic spreadsheet with quickoffice on my htc desire s.

There are a number of app on the android market that allows editing office docs.

To Pete and anyone else interested in finding out what apps are available, head over to the Play store - https://play.google.com/store?hl=en and search for whatever interests you.

/loving my Nexus 7

johnnypanic said:
Think Apple has made a mistake with the ipad mini, £269 is overpriced, especially without a retina display. I think the Nexus 7 will sell very well this Christmas.

#iripoff :-D

I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement of the new 32GB Nexus 7 with 3/4G due next week ;)

Google event on Monday cancelled due to hurricane. :-(

There has been an electronic press release.

8Gb discontinued

16Gb £159 available now
32Gb £199 available now
32Gb + 3G £239 available mid November

I'm going to be getting the 3G model as soon as it's released :)

<sigh> I should have waited. What's the world coming to - Google obsoleting a product within months. A la Apple ;) :D

The new Nexus 10 looks like the tablet is have been waiting for, the first look and specs look very nice indeed.

Back