help needed to choose please

Name
Big D
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i have been using a Nikon D7200 which is a great camera ,i take mostly landscape and wildlife photos ,most of my lenses are full frame. I am thinking of buying a full frame camera but not sure which one to go for ,i have been looking at D750 and D810 cant afford the D850. You guys and girls that have used these two cameras which one would you go for .Thanks in advance.

Why do you think you want a full frame camera? In other words, what do you think a D750 or D810 would enable you to do, that you can't do with the D7200?

If you're into wildlife, you'll need longer (more expensive) lenses to get the same reach. What lenses do you currently have on your D7200?

For landscapes and wildlife I'd probably go for the D810 as compared to the D7200 it would give you considerably more resolution for landscapes and far better low light performance for wildlife. The extra resolution could also give you more cropping ability to negate the disadvantage of reach from the cropped.

I did a google image search "D7200 for landscapes" and there are some stunning photos so do you really need to change? Then I did an image search for "D810 for landscapes"....

Last edited:
Cameras can help get better images but for landscape and wildlife the real key is to be in the right places at the right time, and when you get that right no one ever asks what camera you used.

Unless you can pinpoint the exact things that are holding you back on the D7200 then I wouldn’t change at all. Spend the money on going somewhere worth photographing, training or something else that will actually help you get better shots (clue, the camera almost certainly won’t - the D7200 is a vastly capable camera).

Go for the D810 definately, In my opinion it is the best Nikon FF camera that also has built in flash if needed. I have the D800 and that is ok but the D810 without the AA filter is far better. One thing I did find with the upgrade to the D810 is I had to pay more attention to taking photographs. By this I mean you can't get away with the " that will do" type of shot. It for me has made me concentrate more not just of the shot but on the camera settings as well, which is not a bad thing. If your are into the video side of things it does a fair job of that as well.

I have to agree with others, pin point the exact reason the D7200 isn’t doing what you need it to do, then you can make an informed choice based on that.

I’ve personally just changed from a d5200 to a d500 but I went through that same thoughts as you a few years back, the good folk here pinned me down to the same question and my answers were not to convincing and I realised the d5200 was actually fine for my needs, I got heavily into sports and then the lack of af points and slow af really made me struggle, so I searched and chose the body that would remove that issue.

So, so glad I waited, I feel this body just fits everything I do and want and I’ve got into wildlife as well, mainly due to this body and the fact the crop sensor means I don’t need really expensive glass to get the reach.

Tbh I echo what others have said, you’re not going to see any difference in your photos by ‘upgrading’. The D7200 has great dynamic range for landscapes, and has the extra reach for wildlife. If you pixel peep the D810 will have more detail but at normal viewing size you’re unlikely to see a difference.

If you’re intent on upgrading have you considered a used/grey D850. I ‘upgraded’ from the D750 to the D850 last year but didn’t consider the D810 due to lack of tilt screen which is extremely useful for the landscapes I sometimes do.

Now I have to disagree somewhat with Snerkler. The two main reasons I am against the D850 is no built in flash and the tilt screen. I feel that a tilt screen can get damaged too easily by accident. I can see one forgetting to put it back in the flat position and it getting knocked and damaged. If you want or must take low down shots then get your body into a suitable position. JusT my opinion as I have a panasonic camcorder with a side swing viewing screen and so many times have I just missed getting it hit

Now I have to disagree somewhat with Snerkler. The two main reasons I am against the D850 is no built in flash and the tilt screen. I feel that a tilt screen can get damaged too easily by accident. I can see one forgetting to put it back in the flat position and it getting knocked and damaged. If you want or must take low down shots then get your body into a suitable position. JusT my opinion as I have a panasonic camcorder with a side swing viewing screen and so many times have I just missed getting it hit
TBH I have had all different types of tilt and fair-angle screens over the years and not once come close to breaking one so for me they're invaluable. Of course going by your post they're not for everyone, but I've not seen on here or AVF of anyone breaking a tilt screen, well except for minnnnt breaking the cable ribbon but that was being a muppet whilst cleaning it ;)

I never use built in flash except as a trigger, but I've now got a proper trigger for my D850 and find that it works better anyway as doesn't have to be line of sight.

Of course, we each have our own wants and needs, and was just saying what I find best for me (y)

Why do you think you want a full frame camera? In other words, what do you think a D750 or D810 would enable you to do, that you can't do with the D7200?

If you're into wildlife, you'll need longer (more expensive) lenses to get the same reach. What lenses do you currently have on your D7200?
Hi the lenses I have are nikkor 50mm 1.4g.sigma 35mm art 1.4dg.sigma 18_35mm. Sigma 100_400 5.6 art DG. Sigma 150-600mm 6.3 DG. The reason I am looking at a full frame is my 7200 has now a high shutter count 180.000. I love this camera still works great so would need a new camera soon anyway plus all but one of my lenses are full frame lens.

Tbh I echo what others have said, you’re not going to see any difference in your photos by ‘upgrading’. The D7200 has great dynamic range for landscapes, and has the extra reach for wildlife. If you pixel peep the D810 will have more detail but at normal viewing size you’re unlikely to see a difference.

If you’re intent on upgrading have you considered a used/grey D850. I ‘upgraded’ from the D750 to the D850 last year but didn’t consider the D810 due to lack of tilt screen which is extremely useful for the landscapes I sometimes do.
Thanks for reply, I did not look at the d850 as out of my price range(the missus would kill me)

Back