Help needed, which tab or small laptop

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to buy a tablet or small laptop which will fit into a camera bag for travels. It will only be required when I am away as I am happy with my windows based setup at home. It will need to run Lightroom and Photoshop (I have CC subscription). I mainly shoot wildlife and landscape on an amateur basis. It is possible that I may (not often) need to download up to 1500 frames in one session. It needs to be able to process in LR and then in PS if necessary. I am not looking to batch process of process movies just basic things including crop, exposure comp, selections and possibly layers and blending in PS.Cost is a consideration but not the overriding factor. I have been looking at the new Microsoft surface go but I don't think this will be up to the task. Possibly the surface pro would be OK? I also note that Samsung are pushing their new Tab 4.I do not know anything about LR & PS on tabs so any advice would be helpful. I am happy loading pictures on an external drive and working from that if that is necessary.
I think it would be wise to only consider screens with HD resolution but would be happy to be corrected.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe a small 13 inch laptop? How about the Dell XPS 13, they're apparently quite small. I've looked at the Surface Go too but I don't think it has the power to edit raw files on the go, and I still find the fact that you have to buy the keyboard and stylus separately on the Surface line a huge turn-off. What sort of budget do you have? I'd discount the Galaxy Tab 4, tablet app support on Android is abysmal.

you will pay a lot for a tablet with a high spec, stuff like the surface pro is up at £1000.
personally a small laptop maybe check out a used model will do what you need for better value.

how about something like this ?

https://www.chuwi.com/product/items/Chuwi-Hi10-Pro.html

i don't know if it would be fast enough to run photoshop and lightroom but it might be worth looking into
I suspect the 4GB RAM is going to restrict using Lightroom more than a little. The 64GB internal drive is also barely enough for a major W10 update. I know this as it's the same spec as the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 that I have and would have recommended for lighter use.

Thanks for all your replies, I have a Chillblast laptop at home purposely built for LR/PS but it is too big to go in a backpack. I suspect I am either going to have bite the bullet and buy a high spec surface pro, which is a bit OTT for the use it will get or just wait until i get home to look at my images, which isn't ideal. I am currently trying to use a 4yr old YOGA2 which only has 4G of RAM and is seriously struggling as it also has win 10 on it.

Thanks for all your replies, I have a Chillblast laptop at home purposely built for LR/PS but it is too big to go in a backpack. I suspect I am either going to have bite the bullet and buy a high spec surface pro, which is a bit OTT for the use it will get or just wait until i get home to look at my images, which isn't ideal. I am currently trying to use a 4yr old YOGA2 which only has 4G of RAM and is seriously struggling as it also has win 10 on it.

Bear in mind Microsoft have a Surface related event on 2nd October, so I would imagine the Surface Pro and Surface Laptop will be getting a fairly major refresh. So, either wait until then to buy a new model, or wait until then and the current models will be heavily discounted

Good call, I wasn't aware that the event was happening. My next major trip is not until November so I can afford to wait.

Back