Help needed with equine photography

Edit My Images
No
I was looking for some hints and tips to help improve my equine photography.

I was working as an onsite photographer at a horse show a couple weekends ago, and although I was quite happy with the results I didnt get as many sales as I'd hope for (and been lead to believe I would get)

there are 150 shots from the show so I will put up the link to the online album they are in.

I'm really looking for tips on how to shot more proffesional shots.

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/...estkinleith Farm Summer Horse Show/?start=all

There's really nothing wrong with most of those shots Hannah. Only thing I'd say is I noticed a significant difference in numbers of sales once I started adding watermarks.

Edit: looking again you'd be as well deleting any shots where the horses ears arent forwards, they'll never sell unless there's something else particularly unusual about the shot.

I would say that some shots could use fill flash, some seem to have been taken using it but not all of those that could use it.
Also, position of the sun in the sky wasn't always good and it could have been different in some of the photos, I think.

It seems you have been using flash set to auto and spot metering.
The are some parts of the riders that happen to be blown out as a result, so centre-weighted or matrix metering might have been better in this case.
There might be more, but I'm sure others will write that down :)

thanks for the replies so far.

Slapo - I have no idea what the flash was set to. Will need to look at that one (camera battery is charging at the moment but camera is still set to what is was on the day of the show)

Going to try to get some practice in this afternoon/evening when I go up to feed my pony I'll see what I can get from him and his field mates and I'll post them up.

Hannah
Most people I know who buy photos are young (parents usually buy). I go to several events & the ones people buy typically have 4 things in common:
1. Riders face in full, sharp view - stupid expressions are fun to post here but not sellable
2. Horse in take-off or mid-jump (not landing, steering or just cantering)
3. Horse/rider not obscured by jumps/fillers/trees/anything else
4. Clear backgrounds (no crowds, lorries, portaloos etc).
Debate rages about some of these, but talking to lots of riders, this is what makes them want a particular picture. More experienced riders already have loads of pictures so won't buy anything unless it's really unusual - it's the young & less epxerienced who pay the money. Looking through Horse & Hound is a good idea for layouts, but remember they are reportage images not personal mementos that your average rider would buy.
Can't access your images, but hopefully this may help?

I would say try not to chop bits off, get angles that show the whole fence and horse whether it be from the side or front etc

On a few of your shots there are riders feet, shoulders etc missing
Same with the horses keep as much in view if its a side on standing shot with rider make sure you have the hooves in at the bottom and hat in at the top.

Also if you dont have an external add on flash dont bother, try different settings or get the rider out of the shade if you can to try and manage without an inbuilt flash but thats my personal experience, it can be difficult when you have dark clothes and grey horses! though. But dont forget a good Photoshop or similar can brighten and contrast to some degree, although cant work miracles.

Get names of riders for info gives a bit more of a personal touch when selling.

Theres one pic WK270 i really like but when your taking them think of it being in a frame, having the right hand stand of the jump in full view which would also show the whole of the horse.

If you are shooting at a high enough pixel count dont worry about zooming in too much as you can crop later, its better to have some throw away area around and get a shot you can do something with rather than wish you could stick its foot back on .

Hope that helps a bit

Thanks!

I do have an external flash. have two, a hotshoe one and a large handheld - or bracket mountable- one (being a dimwit and for the moment the term for these flashes has gone from my brain!) I didnt use the hotshoe flash (although in hindsight I should have as I couldnt get fast enough shutter speeds using the inbuilt flash for the jumping) as I felt it might be too distracting a flash of light for the horses coming over the jumps.

I have just recieved a phone call from one competitor's mother ordering all the photographs I took of her, plus 4 enlargments!! So I'm very pleased with that!

Can I just ask what the colours of the photographs look like to you when you are viewing them on your screens. I'm a little nervous about sending them off to print and finding they look nothing like what I see on screen (moniter isnt calibrated and adobe gamma disapeared a while ago, but its at its last settings for that so hopefully should be ok)

I have had a quick look at your pictures and the colours are fine on my screen which is calibrated.

I do a lot of equine event stuff in the North East of the UK and have worked with Hacker before - I am sure he will give you some great advice on top of what has already been offered.

From a composition point of view with jumps try and get both sides of the jump in with space at the front for your horse to be jumping into. Some of these need a bit more space IMO. You seem to have got the angle right for the jump.

I would be wary about using any sort of flash on the jumps as some riders will curse you quite openly and rightly so if you put them off their stride! But some fill on the candids is a good idea if you need it. I always ask first - lost a Gary Fong last week when some horse bit it!

The posed shots are good. Look at shot number 115 & 145 and in particular the ears. As has already been said try and get the ears pricked forward. You need to be quick because once the horse has done it and then 'un-pricked' them it can be hard to get it back again if you missed it.

If you can, think about some abstract shots - I have done a few just concentrating on the hands and how they hold the reins etc.

To sell your pictures you need to market yourself at the event and don't be shy. I use VISTA prints to do all my business cards and postcards. Number one son who is 12 years old goes around wearing his company T-Shirt handing out cards and is very good. I also use an 'A' board with a large poster. Presentation is everything - look the part and you will sell.

Get your event organiser on board as well - they can help hand out your stuff at registration!

I always try and turn around the pictures within 5 days and keep the client updated via email. If I get a particularly big order I will chuck in a few free prints.

Think about your pricing structure. With a 10x8 print I will include a free 7x5 - it costs 19 pence to print and the markup on a 10x8 is far higher than a 7x5. It works well and everybody is happy.

One lesson I learnt was make sure what you put up is capable of being blown up to the maximum size you offer without loosing quality.

I keep a record of all my clients and I have just emailed about 500 from this year to offer my equine portrait service at a discount in the lead up to Christmas (I got this idea from this months Professional Photographer). The uptake is coming along and keeps you in peoples minds whilst the season is off.

I hope this helps you out, but as you can see I have written more about marketing and business than photography which will point you in the right direction and sell more prints. All events are different and some which you think will be big earners may only net you a small amount whilst others will buy you a new lens!

Cheers,

Bob

Back