Help needed with lens choice on Sony A7

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I've not been on here for a while so I'm well out of the loop.

Last time I was looking the Batis stuff had just launched.

I'm 99% sure I'll be getting an A7III in the next few days (it was between that and the A7RII), but I was wondering what cheapish lenses were highly regarded bang/buck

I'm swapping over from A-Mount, I think the only lens I'll use on adapters is the 50mm 1.4 Zeiss as I love it. (unless anyone has bad experiences of it??), and the rest I'll get rid of to fund native lenses over time.

Other than that I'd like an 85, and a 24-70ish zoom straight away, hence the cheapness request.

Any guidance much appreciated as there seems to be a lot more 3rd party stuff around now

Thanks

The Tamron 28-75 seems to get good reviews if you want a cheaper option to the 24-70G.M.

In terms of 85’s the FE85 f/1.8 is very good for the money with really fast a.f. if you don’t mind the messy bokeh and it’s cheap.

The 85mm G.M is excellent, I love mine but it’s not cheap.

The 24mm G.M is is wonderful but not cheap.

Sigma 35mm Art is excellent too and reasonably priced compared to the Sony equivalent which isn’t as good.

The 55mm f/1.8 is razor sharp and reasonably priced.

The 90mm Macro is probably the best macro I have used but not cheap for a macro.

The 70-200 f/4 is a good alternative to the f/2.8 G.M very sharp and much lighter weight but not cheap for an f/4 lens.

That’s all I have owned.

To be honest I have yet to find a bad lens on e-mount although the 50 f/1.8 and 28mm f/2 are both supposed to be pretty rubbish.

Last edited:
Back