help needed with printers

Name
joel
Edit My Images
Yes
ok. im planning on getting my partner a printer, but im having a lot of trouble sifting through pages of reviews. it seems every review i see raves about how great this or that is and then lets you down with some bad point (such as red tinting on images) or leaves out information such as whether the cartridges are dye or pigment. needless to say im a novice (or idiot) when it comes to this, so heres hoping someone can help.

so here is what im looking for within my meagre budget of up to £200....

it doesnt matter if its an all-in-one or simply a dedicated photo printer
image quality is first priority and must be mac compatible (though i assume most brands are?)
preferably prints up to a3 size, though at least a4.
longest life prints i can get for the money.

any ideas? thanks for your time,

joel

ok. im planning on getting my partner a printer, but im having a lot of trouble sifting through pages of reviews. it seems every review i see raves about how great this or that is and then lets you down with some bad point (such as red tinting on images) or leaves out information such as whether the cartridges are dye or pigment. needless to say im a novice (or idiot) when it comes to this, so heres hoping someone can help.

so here is what im looking for within my meagre budget of up to £200....

it doesnt matter if its an all-in-one or simply a dedicated photo printer
image quality is first priority and must be mac compatible (though i assume most brands are?)
preferably prints up to a3 size, though at least a4.
longest life prints i can get for the money.

any ideas? thanks for your time,

joel

I'm in the same boat but for my new PC, so I'd be grateful for any tips too. (Sorry to barge in on your thread Joel but seemed a handy way to get info, hope you don't mind).

Joel

I think you'll struggle to get an A3 printer within you price bracket even with the deals that are on at the moment.

For maximum life you really need to look at pigmented inks.

Now which to buy, try looking at the reviews on this web site, they may help

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Menus/reviews.htm

I've used Epson printers for a number of years and found them a good reliable machine. Some people have had problems with head cloging but I've not found this even with printers left standing for some time.

Whatever printer you buy I would strongly suggest you stick to the manufacturers branded inks. I've tried loads of 3rd party inks and have never been happy with the results

Good luck with your search

dont mind at all brash and thanks chappers for such a speedy reply. as regards the size, the a3 was really just a 'perhaps'. obviously i dont want to sacrifice photo quality for larger prints, a4 would be enough.

so far ive heard good things about canon and epson. ill probably end up with one of these, though which one is beyond me at present:shake:

Canon PIXMA iX4000 A3+ Photo Printer £180
HP Photosmart B8350 A3+ Photo Printer £192
Epson Stylus Photo 1400 A3+ Photo Printer £220

they are the cheapest A3 photo printers out there

ok ive done a little more digging and seen 2 which look good.

does anyone have any experience with the canon mp630 or the canon i100?

Back