Help needed with website photo gallery

Studio16

Suspended / Banned
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi im currently using Microsoft frontpage to build my website and although the photo gallerys are ok i was wondering if anyone new how i could incorporate a gallery that works a bit like this excellent photographers (y)

http://www.ryan-browne.co.uk/galleries/one/index.php?directory=.&currentPic=1

I like the way the images are displayed in small thumbs and when clicked link to the picture on the right side of the screen

Any ideas/help please

Thanks Dave (y)

It uses PHP though. Would you get the PHP code from downloading the pages?

Sadly 'reverse engineering' is something i have no idea about :thinking: i have very limited knowledge of html/flash etc

Dave

Can simplegallery not produce something similar? It's free!

I just set webreaper onto the task of grabbing the site and it works fine when stored locally. So yes.

You can then open the various pages into front page and work out how the designer built it and incorporate ideas into your own site.

Often the a good way of learning IMO. Although I suppose there is a slight ethical issue but for ideas and site building tools its one way...

As above - check out simpleviewer. It is flash, but various things are customisable etc. I am using it for my site (not got a domain yet) and it is dead easy - took no time to get something really good looking and functional. Go to:

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/viewers/

Oh - and its free for the less customisable version - which is what I use - does the trick nicely...

Thanks guys i downloaded simpleviewer and it has created 2 folders one looks empty yet is full the other is called simpleviewer and has the same files as the other one :thinking::thinking:

Not to sure if anything needs to be unzipped or further downloaded :thinking::thinking:

or indeed where to go from here

Looks good though and is kinda what im after cheers(y)

:help:

Dave

why not ask the photographer before nicking his code, he might just point you in the right direction

why not ask the photographer before nicking his code, he might just point you in the right direction

tried this but cant seem to send the form after completed.

Any further suggestions or ideas as to how i can achieve this

thanks Dave(y)

Andrew i tried downloading this yesterday but had no luck with susing it out (see post 10)

"really easy." is not my experience so far :shake:

Dave

Thanks guys i downloaded simpleviewer and it has created 2 folders one looks empty yet is full the other is called simpleviewer and has the same files as the other one :thinking::thinking:

Not to sure if anything needs to be unzipped or further downloaded :thinking::thinking:

or indeed where to go from here

Looks good though and is kinda what im after cheers(y)

:help:

Dave

I'm assuming you are using windows here...

I've just downloaded the .zip file to the desktop, right clicked it, "extract all" then just agreed to all the questions in that menu. This results in a folder called simpleviewer on the desktop (under the .zip file), double click that, gives another folder called simpleviewer, double click that again takes me to the contents, 5 files and 2 folders. From there you should be able to follow the instructions here.

It uses PHP though. Would you get the PHP code from downloading the pages?

No you cant, to answer your question. PHP is server side, it gets processed before the html is outputted to the browser.

So, ripping gallery software from a website using it is going to be pointless.

That simpleviewer seems ok, but doesnt auto magically create the galleries if you dont want to edit any files adding a link to each and every image, you might as well build the pages by hand in html.

If you want a dynamic gallery, where you just upload images, you need to look at some options with server side languages based galleries.

And using frontpage to build a website? Eugh...

:)

No you cant, to answer your question. PHP is server side, it gets processed before the html is outputted to the browser.

So, ripping gallery software from a website using it is going to be pointless.

That simpleviewer seems ok, but doesnt auto magically create the galleries if you dont want to edit any files adding a link to each and every image, you might as well build the pages by hand in html.

If you want a dynamic gallery, where you just upload images, you need to look at some options with server side languages based galleries.

Maybe in most cases, but I have a fully working copy of the website referred to above on my hard drive that doesn't need any web connection to use.

well if i knew what server side language based galleries was then i doubt i would need to ask advice on a photo gallery :)

and frontpage is all i know i had that dreamweaver couldnt even start the programme im a complete novice at web design and build.

Andrewc i will try that again unless anyone has any other ideas. I guess i thought i would of been inundated with ideas as photographers usually have galleries dont they :help:

Dave

May I suggest JAlbum?

It's very simple to use and customize, it'll produce an HTML page **** you can then link too from your homepage or whatever.

I've used it on my site: http://deanphoto.co.uk

Cheers

Hi im currently using Microsoft frontpage to build my website and although the photo gallerys are ok i was wondering if anyone new how i could incorporate a gallery that works a bit like this excellent photographers (y)

http://www.ryan-browne.co.uk/galleries/one/index.php?directory=.&currentPic=1

I like the way the images are displayed in small thumbs and when clicked link to the picture on the right side of the screen

Any ideas/help please

Thanks Dave (y)

Look at the source code for the page - it is a pretty standard gallery script, the javascript, the code to call the images is all on the page. Its all there

Suggested site to visit: http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/

My problem with HTML galleries is the images are too easily copied. I've been bitten once by this and not again - I don't like copyright text over my images but that may happen.

All have advantages and disadvantages. Just do what you feel comfortable with.
JAlbum is also very good

well if i knew what server side language based galleries was then i doubt i would need to ask advice on a photo gallery :)

and frontpage is all i know i had that dreamweaver couldnt even start the programme im a complete novice at web design and build.

Andrewc i will try that again unless anyone has any other ideas. I guess i thought i would of been inundated with ideas as photographers usually have galleries dont they :help:

Dave

Thats no problem :) I write my own scripts so i cant really help you with pointing out which ones you would suit your needs.

I've JAlbum in the past before i knew how to write my own, and it served my purposes back then.

Just try anything and everything is my advice till you find one thats right for you. You'll get there eventually.

EOS_JD - if its on the web, then it can be taken off the web. Sure you can slow the process down or make it harder, but you cant make it impossible (unless you dont put them on the web, but then wheres the fun in that?)

Craikeybaby - i didnt look any further than the page that was linked to :)

Look at the source code for the page - it is a pretty standard gallery script, the javascript, the code to call the images is all on the page. Its all there QUOTE]

yep im sure it is but to me it looks like the inside of a mathematicians head :puke:

I will try JAlbum thanks for your help (y)

Dave

To run a website similar to the one you like, you will need to make sure your ISP supports php and possibly MySQL. It's also likely you'll need the GD library, which has the PHP code for resizing images.

IMHO it's much better to let the web server build pages and serve the finished item rather than using Javascript. My own site, http://www.monomagic.co.uk does use Javascript, but only to call php scripts - a technique / method called AJAX.

There's quite a lot of work in getting a dynamic site running and I suspect Frontpage isn't really up to the job of delivering what you want.

I see from your profile you have CS3, assuming it's photoshop you can download the photoshop cs3 script by Clicking Here follow easy instruction on installing it into CS3 then let Photoshop make the gallery for you.
In CS3 you select File Scripts and you should see Simpleviewer. Have all the photos ready in one folder and choose a output folder that CS3 puts the finished gallery. Upload to your webspace.

It'll keep you going until your ready to tackle modifying pages.

Sounds like you needa out of the box package then - exactly what features do you want?

Back