Help, new dslr

Edit My Images
No
Im looking to buy my 2nd slr. My current one is canon 350d which served me well but I'm at the stage of upgrading!

I'm looking or a canon under £1000 second hand with decent megapixels, ISO performance etc

What can you recommend?

£1000 could buy you second hand, a far superior camera than the 350 and a few good lenses to boot. So I would suggest that you supply much more info than you have.
What do you shoot/want to shoot/plan to shoot.
What lenses do you currently have.
Do you want to spend the entire budget on a body only.
Do you want to go full frame or stick with crop sensor.
Do you plan on printing large prints ( lots of megapixels may not be a deal breaker)
Is the ISO performance you mentioned paramount.

Answer some of these or at least give it some thought and members can be of more help.

Spend £450 on a 5D mk1
Spend £550 on lenses (50mm F/1.4, 17-40mm F/4 for example)

You'll never look back.

if you want body only you could grab a 5Dmk2 second hand for that

Fair comment but if he has a collection of EF-s lenses and doesn't realise that they dont work on full frame that could be useless and ultimately very expensive bad advice which is why as much background as possible is required to give a constructive answer. Everyone posting the name of there favourite or wishlst body as an answer doesn't help the OP.
He may know loads about photography or very little so it is very important to establish this first.

Well he asked for recommendations...

Well he asked for recommendations...

Yes I am aware of that but my point is that without knowing what lenses he already has its pointless recommending a full frame body (or any other for that matter) I just think its in the forums interests to give the best advice we can regardless of our own preferences and I didn't see how that can be achieved with such limited information.
Best body second hand for £1000 ? The obvious answer is 5DmkII but the 7D etc may be a better option, or as you so rightly pointed out, a Mk1 with good glass is a very sensible option but he may already have those very lenses,we just don't know. Do you see where I'm coming from ? I'm not knocking yours or anyone elses suggestions I just have the OPs best interests at heart.

Sorry guys agree with Gary, if the op shoots sports or action your recommendations of 5D 1 or 2 is useless.

As above:

What do you shoot or plain to shoot?
What lens/lenses do you already have?

2 most important questions.

I know exactly what you guys are saying.

Maybe he just wants a few suggestions so he can go and do his own research?

Always assume then op knows nothing to avoid misleading them :)

That's quite a patronising way to look at things, but maybe I just haven't spend enough time on forums if that is the truth.

I'm sure nobody would spend £1000 on the first thing someone recommended. But if they would...

I have a lovely 400D, a big step up from the 350D and yours for the bargain price of £990

I personally would even dare to say buy a 40/50D and spend the rest on a decent flash and then a few decent lenses! :D It will be a big step up from the 350D and with some good lenses - it makes a LOVELY set-up.

I really wish the OP's would occasionally check back to the threads they start to see what info people have left for them. I'd have to say either a 60D or a 7D body would be good, but without knowing what he's shooting or wanting to shoot there's no point in saying anything.

I really wish the OP's would occasionally check back to the threads they start to see what info people have left for them. I'd have to say either a 60D or a 7D body would be good, but without knowing what he's shooting or wanting to shoot there's no point in saying anything.

+1

Sometimes I think that OP's like to open threads without any information just to see what comes up - then remember never to add info to make the thread worthwhile.

£1000 opens up massive possibilities - with no more info than that, it's an impossible task.

Sorry guys agree with Gary, if the op shoots sports or action your recommendations of 5D 1 or 2 is useless.

Incorrect. Although the 7D is generally regarded as a better body for sports stuff, I have had some great success with the 5D2 shooting low level aircraft and they travel a bit faster than a footballer! :D
The FPS may be lower and the focus not as good as some of the newer bodies out there, but it certainly isn't useless.

Gareth

Perhaps he realised the error or his ways and decided to go for a Nikon instead...:whistle:

:nono: Whoa guys stop quoting that, Gary, never said anything of the kind :naughty: I said the the 7D may be a better choice ! Not the same thing at all. lol

I know Aaron was referring to my post in general and that last bit is his opinion but just wanted to set the record straight. WIPPERS !! be more careful with your cutting and pasting :nono: ;)

Chill out ? Did you see the emoticons ? (a nono and a wink, oh and the lol) It was a bit of fun. It was written with my tongue in my cheek not my foot in my mouth. :shrug:

No offence intended Gareth. Nor was I offended about the quote, on the contrary it just made me smile that you and Neil used it to highlight your comments to Aaron and I was getting dragged in to the conversation against my will. :LOL:
Its difficult sometimes to put across your intended sentiment/mood in a forum post which is why I like to use emoticons/smilioes as often as possible where there may be doubt about the posts intentions. (y)

No offence intended Gareth. Nor was I offended about the quote, on the contrary it just made me smile that you and Neil used it to highlight your comments to Aaron and I was getting dragged in to the conversation against my will. :LOL:
Its difficult sometimes to put across your intended sentiment/mood in a forum post which is why I like to use emoticons/smilioes as often as possible where there may be doubt about the posts intentions. (y)

Yep I know exactly what you mean. It can be difficult to get your point across via text without sounding like a*#e. the emoticons defintitely help (when you actually see them:D) (y)

You've frightened off the OP :D

My recommendation would be to invest a little of your £1000 first in your local college (evening classes) to find out more about the capabilities of your existing camera. I think that will give you more of an idea what your needs/wants will be, and show up what the weaknesses may be for you with your 350D.

Of course you may have already done something like this, or more even, and have almost made up your mind, but just wanted to hear what others had to say before taking the plunge for that new camera. If that is the case just ignore my first comments, but please add a bit more info as others have suggested.

Chris.

Last edited:
Back