Beginner help on lighting photography

Name
ROSS
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all
I am doing a photography course and need help on this question which all about lighting photography.
Explore the process and practice of lighting in both studio and location photographers’ work through research. Using your visual diary, produce a timeline which maps the use of lighting in photography from its beginning to the present day. Research visuals of photographs taken in different settings to demonstrate how studio and location photography processes and practices have changed over time and include these within your timeline.
Through annotations, evaluate and critically analyse the difference between lighting for studio photography and lighting for location photography in different contexts.

it look like i need build timeline since 1830 until now with studio and location lighting.
are there any website and pictures i can use to build up my timeline
from
Ross

Yes, you should get most of the info you need via Google. Unfortunately the item that Mike linked to is far from being either accurate or complete though, you need to dig deeper.
It mentions that the early flash bulbs were only available to professional photographers - not true, all camera shops were selling them to all customers when I entered the industry.
The early flash bulbs were dangerous, they used to explode when used. Later ones were dipped in plastic to prevent this.

The article mentions the very early electronic flash units, in fact the early ones were massive flash generator units (pack & head in Americanese) and I still remember - not necessarily with affection - my Strobex City units, on wheels because they needed 3 or 4 strong people to lift them. Each had 5000j output but inefficient and with very severe resistive losses, they actually delivered relatively little power. The heavy cables used to jump across the floor when the flashes were fired:(

Bowens produced the very first studio monoblock heads back in 1963. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowens_International and there were few if any improvements to technology for many years following that. Alien Bees introduced the first IGBT flash head and this world of lighting has now largely moved to this technology.

You may want to concentrate on the growth of lighting modifiers, the real world reduction in cost and also learn about both studio and outdoor lighting..

Yes, you should get most of the info you need via Google. Unfortunately the item that Mike linked to is far from being either accurate or complete though, you need to dig deeper.

That was not an item, that was a search with very many articles (google say 476 Million results) so that the OP could start their research

Mike

Well, I suppose it could be useful to you, it's not completely inaccurate but it's far from complete.
It's very badly written of course, lots of grammar and spelling errors so possibly someone not writing in his or her first language, or a student.

If we had a better understanding of your needs we may be able to point you in the right direction . . .

The very early studios used lime lights or magnesium (when they weren't using available light and a chair with a clamp to hold the subect in place).
I used flash bulbs a lot (still have some somewhere and the flash) as said the early ones were dodgy, some of the better later ones gave off quite a lot of light. and let you use smaller F stops even with the slow films of the day.

Hi All
I still can't write about my location and studio lighting. Maybe I putting wrong words into google.

would this be ok for studio lighting
  • 1839- The first artificial light photography dates back to 1839 when L. Ibbetson used oxy-hydrogen light (also known as limelight).
  • 1839-1840 - the results of using the chemical were rather poor: chalk-white pale faces and a harshly lit picture, an effect created due to the imperfection of the light source and differentiation of the reflectance of different parts of the scene.
  • 1858- Nadar was first to experiment with battery-powered electric lamps for studio lighting.
  • 1859- Studies of magnesium by Bunsen and Roscoe showed that burning this metal produced light with similar qualities to daylight.
  • 1861 – Nadar invented and took out a patent for artificial photographic lighting
  • 1862 -Edward Sonstadt began experiments to prepare the metal on a commercial basis
  • 1864 - magnesium wire was finally placed on sale.
  • 1870- photographers continued to use magnesium wire lamps.
  • 1877- that the first studio using electric light was opened.
  • 1877- Any photographer will know harsh light means high contrast and often overexposed skin tones. It wasn’t until 1887 that a slightly more suitable light source became available.
  • 1899- An electrically triggered flash lamp was invented by Joshua Lionel Cowen.
  • 1905 - French photographer was using intense non-explosive flashes produced by a special mechanized carbon arc lamp to photograph subjects in his studio.
  • 1920- flash photography normally meant a professional photographer sprinkling powder into the trough of a T-shaped flash lamp.
  • 1929- Manufactured flashbulbs were first produced commercially in Germany.
  • 1931 - American Electronic Engineer and photographer, Harold Edgerton, invented the first electronic flash or ‘stroboscope’.

I am doing an online photography course.
I need to build up a timeline from 1839 until now, I have already got 1839 until 1939

I am doing an online photography course.
I need to build up a timeline from 1839 until now, I have already got 1839 until 1939
Ahh right. . .

Have you asked the Royal Photographic Society? http://rps.org/
I don't know whether they still do so but they used to award distinctions to people who researched the history of photography.

Back