HELP - Photo stuck to Glass in a frame - how to remove

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife has started 'Spring Cleaning' in readyness for Xmas...:thinking:

The kids are due a school photo over the next week or so and She decided to clean/move our current pictures about in readyness....

The photo in question is stuck to the glass..... it's approximatley the bottom 3rd of the pcture....

It's a school picture of my 2 sons from last year.... and I'd like to save it if I can....

Any tips or remedies ?

It's stuck FAST... first attempt to remove it and I noticed it wanted to rip... so left it...

Many thanks in advance

Phil

First thing I'd do is put it back together and get a really good photo/scan of it, then if it goes pear shaped you still have something. Soaking the whole thing in water might loosen it, but the problem there is without knowing exactly what sort of photo it is you might destroy it.

My friend had the same problem but as she didn't want the photo removed from the frame I didn't make any attempt to try!

It did scan quite well through the glass though, so at least she now has a backup.

Before trying anything else I'd suggest trying to scan it.

Pop it on a scanner first before removing and take a copy so you will at least have something to fall back on incase it fall apart. That is what I would do but can't help any further then that.

I think you might struggle a bit with this one. Although there's a huge amount of knowledge on here so maybe someone will have an easy answer. I'm pretty sure you could soak it off with plain water, but just what that would do to the print I don't know, it could ruin it.

I'd be tempted to take the glass (and stuck print) out of the frame and scan it on a flat bed scanner and then re-print from that. It'll be interesting to see other suggestions.

cheers

That was quick... !! ;)

I've scanned the offending image..... Why didn't I think of that ! :thinking:

Here it is >>

EPSON007_800.jpg

You can see around the area at the bottom where it's greyish, that it STUCK on good'n proper....

Not sure whether to soak it yet... mmhhh ... need to ponder the idea

Many thanks !

Phil

is there anything printed on the back of the photo - such as "Fujicolour Crystal Archive" or some such gubbins - if there is, maybe one of the better informed people on here could tell you if it was a "Wet Print process" or some other printing - I reckon that if it was a proper wet-print then it's got a better chance of coming away intact by re-soaking, but i'm glad you've got a scan just in case...

Sure is something on the reverse...

It reads:

Konica Minolta Long Life 100

Would be great if someone knows if it's possible or not based on that !!

Cheers

Without stating the obvious and not wishing to detract from the OP's issue here but if the photo is only from last year surely the school tog will still have it on file and can provide you with another proper image... :shrug:

The scanning is all well and good but it won't quite be up to the original quality however good the scanner because the image is showing signs of the stuck-fast problems... :cautious:

:p

Dunno if it will work, but couldn't you hold the glass and photo above steam coming out of a kettle. Not while the kettle is boiling away of course! But enough moisture to gently coax the photo off the glass?
Of course, I won't accept responsibility if things goes horribly wrong, but that would be the kind of thing I'd try if I am faced with a similar problem.

Thats the method I would use too! Bit less dramatic than soaking, BUT more likely to cause harm, so, PLEASE BE CAREFULL!!!

I'd missed the fact that it's only a year old - definitely contact them and get another proper print, and this time when you frame it, use a proper mount to keep the photo away from the glass.

I regularly use clip-frame type frames with no mount, and occasionally get the problem of prints sticking, but - I've printed them, so I just rip them off, and polish the glass clean and dry ready for a new one. If I get a print larget than A4 done somewhere, it always gets framed behind a proper mount. Most of the modern large-prints are done in some variation of the inkjet on resin coated paper which on the whole doesn't take kindly to getting wet. Old-Fashioned wet-process (silver gelatine) prints from real film however are usually fine (though i seem to remember that before around 1930 or so they were a bit more fragile.) to be soaked off in tepid water with a couple of drops of photoflow (a wetting agent that's used in the final rinse to prevent water-marking on prints/film)

Soaking it would probably get it off, but you'd then have the problem of drying it flat.

Used to do B&W D&P then glaze prints by rolling them onto glass and leaving to dry. Some would stick to the glass and many got damaged by trying to peel them off.

Maybe some folks in the Film section will have an answer.

Without stating the obvious and not wishing to detract from the OP's issue here but if the photo is only from last year surely the school tog will still have it on file and can provide you with another proper image... :shrug:

The scanning is all well and good but it won't quite be up to the original quality however good the scanner because the image is showing signs of the stuck-fast problems... :cautious:

Yep, I'd freeze it. I'm not sure of the chemical techy bit as to why freezing works but if something is sticky/stuck then freezing freezes the "stick" (thats why you freeze chewing gum to remove it).

:thinking: Blimey I'm some bofiin :LOL:

I'd only go for soaking as a last resort.

I'd definitely try freezing first, and if that doesn't work try heating it gently with a hairdryer.
(But I'm glad to hear you have a back up plan in case it goes wrong)

I'm no expert on the science stuff either, but I think this normally happens when a bit of moisture (condensation) has got between the photo and the glass making the print slightly tacky.

Either freezing or heating should help by removing any last traces of moisture . . . hence stickiness.

:LOL:
Dons :geek: hat.
Freezing water makes it expand right. (y)
...and glass has no water in it, But the photo does.
So something’s going to give and its isn't going to be the glass.
Maybe. :nuts: :shrug: ..that’s the logic anyway.

:LOL:

Thanx Adam... (y)

Although I had sort of worked it out ;)

Why do people never tell the whole story? Who framed it? If it was from the school last year it most prob is a digi print, therefore water is out. Why it is stuck, is most prob been sprayed with a UV filter spray to stop it bleaching. Scanning is the only answer.

Back