Help Photographing a Computer

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, i have been trying to take some decent shots of my computer for a while now and just cant seem to get that nice crisp finish that can be seen on the professional websites. Is there any tips or advice you can give me to help me get a better finish.

Thanks in advance.

How are you lighting it?

Lighting is CRUCIAL to any kind of photography, but with something like a computer that is (usually) a reflective surface, even more important.

Try bouncing your light source off a reflector - doesn't have to be anything special, but something to diffuse the light so that you avoid 'hot spots'.

Chances are, unless light is plentiful, that you're going to need a tripod.

Also, think about your background - make sure that unless going for a particular effect, you use something neutral.

Lastly, consider a shallow depth of field - this will give interest to the foreground, and remove the background so you don't end up with something distracting.

Cheers,
James

By the way? Many of the professional websites don't use actual photos of the machines, normally they are mock ups!

Most product photography is done with a pain white background and usually a number of light sources - often one or two on the item and then a seperate one firing to the background to ensure there are no shadows, you can also buy little 'tents' to put your item in, especially for product photography.

Cheers,
James

I agree. One way is to use the ceiling to bounce the flash off, if you've got a good powerful flash-gun. When I tested my flash I took pictures of my computer and they came out well.

Thanks for the replies, ill have a go with a few of the tips over the weekend.

If i have no look ill try one of the tents, anywhere you can recommend to get one from, im probably gonna need quite a big one.

Thanks

Rooster

Might be an idea to upolad a photo you've taken and explain how you want it to look differently then people can give you more specific pointers.

Back