Help Please - Fast-ish Wide-ish zoom for Canon

Not really a great deal of lenses that are fast in that range that work on full frame. Personally in this market area I think you need to pick full frame or fast not both unless you have a big budget.

I'd go tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for the crop and a 17-40mm f4l for the full frame.

Not really a great deal of lenses that are fast in that range that work on full frame. Personally in this market area I think you need to pick full frame or fast not both unless you have a big budget.

I'd go tamron 17-50mm f2.8 for the crop and a 17-40mm f4l for the full frame.

Thanks :) It's a bit convoluted but in summary: I have a 16-35 f4 (which is great on my 6D) but I'm buying a crop body (100D) and fancied a fast zoom for it which would also work on the 6D for the occasional astro shot (f4 isn't really fast enough).

It may be that it's not possible to do it with one lens, I just wondered...

Well you should already know the answer to your question as the description only leaves ONE option.... Canon 16-35 f/2.8 II USM. as for all the others that suggested the 17-50 lenses they are for crop sensor cameras.

Last edited:
Thanks :) It's a bit convoluted but in summary: I have a 16-35 f4 (which is great on my 6D) but I'm buying a crop body (100D) and fancied a fast zoom for it which would also work on the 6D for the occasional astro shot (f4 isn't really fast enough).

It may be that it's not possible to do it with one lens, I just wondered...
Simple solution, tamron 17-50mm f2.8 as a walk around on the 100d and samyang 14mm f2.8 for you occasional astro fix (it's awsome) should come in pretty cheap if you go second hand.

Although for me if the reason you've gone for the 100d is to have a small kit I'd buy a fast prime like sigmas 30mm f1.4 and call it done!

Well you should already know the answer to your question as the description only leaves ONE option.... Canon 16-35 f/2.8 II USM. as for all the others that suggested the 17-50 lenses they are for crop sensor cameras.

Hmm - used to have one of those and sold it! Actually wasn't that pleased with it as my example had really soft corners even stopped down - the 16-35 f4 is way way better imho :)

Simple solution, tamron 17-50mm f2.8 as a walk around on the 100d and samyang 14mm f2.8 for you occasional astro fix (it's awsome) should come in pretty cheap if you go second hand.

Although for me if the reason you've gone for the 100d is to have a small kit I'd buy a fast prime like sigmas 30mm f1.4 and call it done!

Thanks again :) I think you're right actually - no point in trying to do it with one lens. Samyang 14mm is a great shout for astro on the 6D, will need to have a think about what to stick on the 100D - not sure I could cope without a zoom so maybe something like a 15-85 would be as good as anything (quite compact as well I think). Hmm...

The 15-85 is smaller than I thought if it must be a zoom it's that or the standard kit lens for me.

It's a shame canon don't do the 22mm pancake from the m range in an efs mount as it would be ideal.

Sigma 17-35 HSM 2.8-4 cheap as chips add a bit of sharpness to your jpegs and a bit of contrast and it works great ( for me on Nikon)

didn't know the existence of the tamron 15-30, seems to be to be a more useful zoom range compared with 14-24...but if the optical performance can match or even slightly sit lower than the 14-24 but with same QC of nikon then i think the tamron one will be onto a winner. I am sure it will beat the 16-35mm in terms of optical performances.

didn't know the existence of the tamron 15-30, seems to be to be a more useful zoom range compared with 14-24...but if the optical performance can match or even slightly sit lower than the 14-24 but with same QC of nikon then i think the tamron one will be onto a winner. I am sure it will beat the 16-35mm in terms of optical performances.

Another +1 for the Sigma 17-35mm 2.8-4

I used it on my 40D and now use t on my 5Dii..

Bit of vignetting on the 5Dii at 17mm, but not enough for me to worry about.

Got mine for £100 :D

Indeed very interesting lens. I am quite keen on this one now and interested in seeing the test results. I can't believe the guy got sent one when it was just shown in the exhibition in September.

I dont think that 15-30 is out yet as I can find no price listing ...my 17-35 sigma cost £42 ( OK I had to clean the fungus off the front element ..about 10 min

Bargain! Mine had just been serviced with a new motor..

Couldn't believe the cheapness, then you go and inform me of a half the cost one haha

Still, it comes out of the bag a few times..

isnt the biggest issue with the 17-35 thats its only f4 at the longer end - so it doesnt really conform to the OPs need of a fast lens , except when its zoomed right out (at which point it vignettes)

the 17-30 has been ut for about a year, but it suffers from the same issue

Spoke with the Tamron rep at a recent Calumet open day. He said the new 15-30 2.8 will be on sale from Feb. Also said that they're aiming for better build and image quality than the Tamron 24-70 2.8 and as such will be priced higher.

The sigma 18-30 f1.8 is interesting (but dx only) - and it sure as hell isnt cheap

Spoke with the Tamron rep at a recent Calumet open day. He said the new 15-30 2.8 will be on sale from Feb. Also said that they're aiming for better build and image quality than the Tamron 24-70 2.8 and as such will be priced higher.
Don't think the IQ and build quality is the issue with latest tamron offerings. Its the inconsistent manufacturing quality control that is the problem and their reluctance to accept that.

Don't think the IQ and build quality is the issue with latest tamron offerings. Its the inconsistent manufacturing quality control that is the problem and their reluctance to accept that.

Yup my first 24-70 2.8 had to go back to DigRev

Last edited:
Back