Help Please - Lens Upgrade Dilemma

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

At the moment I am using the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG which, for the price, is a nice lens. However, I'm thinking of upgrading to something better in the near future and after spending the past couple of days researching I've come to the conclusion that I don't know what I want :bang:
I want to be able to shoot some wildlife and maybe sport (rugby and cricket mainly) so could go a little longer than 300mm. My budget is over £400 and I don't mind waiting a little while so probably upto £1000.
Oh I've a Nikon D90 by the way.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. (y)

Cheers

Andy

I want to be able to shoot some wildlife and maybe sport (rugby and cricket mainly) so could go a little longer than 300mm. My budget is over £400 and I don't mind waiting a little while so probably upto £1000.
Oh I've a Nikon D90 by the way.
How wedded to Nikon are you? The obvious answer that springs to my mind is the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM..... but there's nothing similar available for Nikon.

To get longer within that price, I would maybe look at a second hand bigma. I've never used one but have seen many that do recommend them.

How wedded to Nikon are you? The obvious answer that springs to my mind is the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM..... but there's nothing similar available for Nikon.

Hi Stewart,

Joined at the hip I believe. I was considering the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 and maybe 1.7TC to give me the extra reach as I believe they are well matched, but this would mean going s/h (which I don't mind).

To get longer within that price, I would maybe look at a second hand bigma. I've never used one but have seen many that do recommend them.

Hi Gary,

Have considered it but I really want something fast and its only f5.6 I think.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Andy

Anyone else got any thoughts on this? Would be glad of any ideas.

Andy

The Bigma is f6.3 at 500, but is a fantastic lens. you can probably pick one up 2nd hand for £500 is you look. What about the Nikon 80-400?? You could also look at trying to get a 2nd hand Sigma 300 f2.8, which can go for £1100

Oscar ;)

The Bigma is f6.3 at 500, but is a fantastic lens. you can probably pick one up 2nd hand for £500 is you look. What about the Nikon 80-400?? You could also look at trying to get a 2nd hand Sigma 300 f2.8, which can go for £1100

Oscar ;)

Thanks BirderOzzie I think that the Bigma may be a bit too heavy to lug around all day but I'll look into the 80-400mm option.

Nikon 300mm f4 + TC may suit, should be able to pick up second hand for around that price

Thanks SussexBlue, I have considered primes but I feel the need for the zoom option, still neither the Nikon nor the Sigma primes are out of the question.
More research needed I think. :thinking:

Cheers
Andy

Ok, after considering all the input so far and my own ideas it looks like this :
I want a fast zoom lens with quick A/F for sport (mainly rugby & cricket, rugby will be sometimes under floodlights) so will need to be handheld at times.
I want it to take a teleconverter for increased reach when taking wildlife.
I don't want to spend more than £1100 in all (less if possible) but secondhand is ok.

These are the options as I see it :

Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 with T/C
Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 with T/C
Sigma 100-300 f4
Sigma 200-500mm f2.8 :)lol: £19399 at WHE, I think I'll have 2)
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 with T/C

I keep hearing about how good the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 is and that it is just as good with a 1.7x T/C and this is the favourite so far.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Andy

Look at the Nikon 80-400mm

I did, but I kept seeing mention of slow A/F and for rugby it needs to be fast. Don't know how slow slow is mind, might be just slow compared to lightning fast? Also its a big heavy bu**er.

Andy

It probably is too slow for rugby - AF speed depends on the body too though - maybe the D90 would be OK.

Good point, I have found the D90 to be quicker than my previous cameras, might be worth a try.

Andy

I think you need to throw in to the mix a siggy 120-300 F2.8, works great with a 1.4TC (but not so well with a 2.0TC), it's this combo I use for most of my sport/bird shots.

It's a highly regarded lens, but a bit of a beast.

You should be able to get a s/h MK1 (the one I have) within your budget.

Thanks Les, thats made things easier......:bang: I'll go and do some more research then.

Andy

Back