Help Please.. Opening files in Elements 6 EDITOR

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Just downloaded my first shots from a Nikon D90.

Shot in RAW and they seemed to download ok (if a little slow, I presume because they are bigger files than in my old D70?) but when I try to open them in Elements 6 it says 'the file is damaged or is a format that cannot be included in the organiser' with the file name and .nef after.

Also in the Windows picture viewer it will not open them and tells me I may have not enough memory.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Andy

Windows won't preview all RAW files and won't preview any if you don't have the plug-in. Does your version of Adobe Camera Raw support the D90? If not you need to get the latest update and see if that helps.

Could be right there Kev. Adobe have been trying to update me for weeks maybe thats the problem.

Cheers

OK, here's an update. As Kev suggested downloaded the new version compatible with the D90. Opened up the organiser, no problem, pictures all viewable.

Open up Editor and I cant view or edit the images from the D90, says wrong file type.
Anyone got any ideas? I'm getting very frustrated.

Andy

I am working from long past memory here.
I had a D70 when it first came out.
I seem to remember that with RAW files (NEF) it was only possible to view them with Nikon Capture or Picture Project.
That may not be up to date, but the software that came with your D90 should do the trick.

Just noticed. Andy, that you have a D70 so you'll know that in RAW it produces Nikon Electronic Files - how are you opening them?

Sooner there is an industry standard for RAW the better.

I had no trouble opening RAW files from my D70 in Elements 6, and no problem opening them from the D90 in organiser. But when I try and edit them it says wrong type of file. Its got me very confused.
I uploaded Capture NX to try and edit in that but thats even more confusing than Elements.....

Andy

See if this helps:-
http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00PD3I

One of the solutions involves converting .nef files to .tiff files so that is more of a workaround than a solution.
If you can find software to convert .nef to .dng that is the way forward I think.

Given the popularity of Adobe editors all cameras should be capable of producing .dng files.

Lots of Nikon users on this forum. Must be others who have run up against this problem.

When I used a D70 I did not like the Nikon software. Did not find it user friendly. D70 was my first digital camera and I was struggling with that so it did not help matters

Back