Help please with Processing White Floor

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I'm trying to print a 20x16 of th pic below but am having trouble with the white floor having 'hard' graduating lines. I'm using Loxley and the 10x8 looks great, just that the lines appear on the larger image.

I suspect it is because I'm using a graduated filter in NX2 to whiten the floor (straight and circular), which looks fine on screen -what I'd like to know is whats the best way to do it so it will print OK at large sizes? I have LR2 - would I be better off just using the adjustment brush with a reasonable sized feather?

Any help appreciated as I'm doing this at cost so any reprints are going to be costing me money!

514923029_ksahu-L.jpg

hopefully thats better!

i can see the shot (y) looks nice

what software are you using

i would sujest using the dodge brush set to highlight about 12% ish

or use a soft white brush as you say

i would extend the image fisrt then whiten then crop it back this should make things easier for you

also is there a slight cast or somthing between the boy at the backs head and one of the other subjects

md(y)

edit i think its a copyright am i right ..

i can see the shot (y) looks nice

what software are you using

i would sujest using the dodge brush set to highlight about 12% ish

or use a soft white brush as you say

i would extend the image fisrt then whiten then crop it back this should make things easier for you

also is there a slight cast or somthing between the boy at the backs head and one of the other subjects

md(y)

edit i think its a copyright am i right ..

thanks for the tips - I have NX2, LR2 and PS CS3, but would rather make the adjustments in LR2 if possible...

It is a copyright symbol...

I've just had exactly the same problem and to get round it I applied a gaussian blur layer to the image and then with a soft brush erased it from everywhere except the shadow area on the floor. That way the shadows remained as required but lacked any harsh graduation. Its also a quick way of getting rid of stiletto heel marks.

I can see it now, the mark between the heads looks like a shadow on the background to me, a dodge brush set to highlights might help, although I'd be tempted to select the children, invert the selection and fill with white. Wayne

I can see it now, the mark between the heads looks like a shadow on the background to me, a dodge brush set to highlights might help, although I'd be tempted to select the children, invert the selection and fill with white. Wayne

thanks - the mark between the heads is part of a very faint copyright symbol!

I'm trying to print a 20x16 of th pic below but am having trouble with the white floor having 'hard' graduating lines. I'm using Loxley and the 10x8 looks great, just that the lines appear on the larger image.
Where exactly are these 'graduating lines' you speak of?

Because from what I can see, most of your image in the OP is pure white. And even where there's a transition from pure to almost pure it's not likely to have caused any banding.

Methinks there's something wrong with the printing process.

To fix this kind of thing at work when we're doing product shots for print (on white backgrounds) we just get the image looking good then do a rough selection around the object (in Photoshop), apply a suitable feather, invert the selection and then fill with 100% white. This basically fills the whole image white around the object. he feathe is to graduate it up to the object.

Gets rid of any rogue shadow details that isn't always obvious on a bright monitor.

Back