Name
Hannah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I'm new to this so sorry if I'm not using it correctly or anything!

I am a student who really enjoys photography as a hobby seeking advice...

I currently use an Olympus E-PM1 (PEN Mini) but I've been using it for a few years now and I'd really like to step up the game a little bit. So for my birthday this year I'd like to treat myself to a new camera. I've tried to do research but I'm getting nowhere! So I thought I might ask the people who know best... I'd like something which is slightly more advanced than my current camera with a couple of different lenses, (nothing too advanced or I might not cope!), but that also doesn't break the bank...

If anyone could help or at least point me in the right direction, it would be amazing!!!!! :)

Edits -

I mostly do nature photography. So both macro and shots from a distance. Amid Covid-induced lockdowns I've recently been trying to capture more photos of animals and my current camera is not very well suited. (Deer tend to move very fast and don't let humans get very close...a well as most creatures actually). As well as trying to take shots in the dark is impossible.

My budget would be probably around £700 for a kit/bundle (if that's possible). Sorry it doesn't give much to work with! :/

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hi Hannah and welcome to TP

It might help if you expanded by saying what sort of subjects you do already and would like to photograph?

Plus, one person's "break the bank" could be different to another person.......so can you give an indication of your budget for the camera body and the lens(es)?

The answers to the above will aid any advice to be (all being well) closer suited to your requirements.

Last edited:
Lots of variables - what budget are you comfortable with and what are you shooting or looking to shoot? What is it about your current camera that is holding you back and that is not as advanced as you would llike?

Welcome. Just as a generalisation, I would suggest you stick to a m4/3 camera (Olympus or Panasonic) because a) whatever lens you already have for your Pen will fit, and b) you are probably used to the Olympus menus now. The good people on the m4/3 forum will be able to help you narrow this down.

Firstly, I am surmising to reach your aimed for subjects with suitable kit it will be secondhand kit.

Thinking out loud.

I have seen some wildlife photography with the higher spec'ed Pen bodies attached to the (respected) budget Tele zoom 75-300. At 300 end on an Olympus mFT body you get the much sought after, at full frame equivalent, focal length 600mm.

Hopefully leaving some budget for the shorter end 'need'?

Another body, higher spec than the Pen, might be the E-M5mk2.

Do you have any other lenses for your Olympus?
If so then sticking with m4/3s cameras makes sense.
The newer cameras will have better performing autofocus than the older Pen.
My Dad just bought the Olympus E-M10 Mk3 twin lens kit from HDEW for £469 The standard lens is the 14-42 EZ, the longer zoom is the 40-150. He got his delivered just in the first week of CV lockdown.
Or get a secondhand body like the Olympus E-M5 Mk2 for £400ish from MPB. Using your existing standard lens.
You could then look at a secondhand Panasonic 45-200 for £250ish from MPB

Personally I'd keep clear of the Panasonic 45-200mm. It may have its fans but it can be a bit soft. I much prefer the 45-150mm and I think it's a much better lens.

I would strongly recommend a used Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II. It is quite a bit more complex than the Pen you have, but it is an exceptional piece of kit and only one of a handful of micro 4/3 cameras that has good enough autofocus to keep up with wildlife. (you can do it with others but it's a pain and hit rate will be low). You can use your existing lenses with it too.

Back