Help - Problem with Canon G9

Edit My Images
Yes
I was at a local concert last night and took my G9 rather than the DSLR set up - much more inconspicuous. I took a few pictures before and during the concert, all fine and then suddenly hit a hitch. First incident was the camera LCD asking for a new battery pack despite the battery levell indicator showing the battery as being almost full. I thought that it might be a battery connection problem and removed the battery and than inserted it again - no further issues about the battery level. However, I could no longer take any pictures other than pure black - it was as if the CCD sensor was now faulty. The camera would allow me to take pictures but they were all pure black. The LCD display on the back works fine and shows all the menu settings etc. but no longer shows any picture images other than playback of pictures taken earlier, all later pictures are 'black' and no 'live view' pictures.
I tried doing a 'reset all' to take things back to original factory settings and this did do a reset but did not fix the problem. I then put the battery pack on charge last night and have tried the camera again this morning to no avail. No pictures can be taken.
Any ideas or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. The camera is still under warranty (just). Is it now time for it to meet its maker?

Have you tried a different memory card? - It may be that - if it's the same with another card then it sounds like it's gone faulty - I'd send it in for a warranty repair quick before it runs out

Kevin, Outlaw,
Thank you for your suggestions. I have just changed the memory card in it to no avail. Also I was actually quite lucky. My wife has been a long-term fan (many many years) of David Essex and last night I took her to see him in concert - tickets 'bought' by our children for last Mother's day. She got the chance to meet David before the concert, get his autograph and have her picture taken with him (on my G9). After 4 shots in the concert, the camera gave up! Luckily all the previously taken shots were okay and the picture of her with David is perfect! Talk about being lucky. Please hold on all the jokes about the camera giving up on account of it being David Essex.
Anyway, I have now dropped Canon UK an email and will now need to see how they want to handle things. I bought the camera from Amazon Uk and they have told me to go to Canon directly.
I shall report back once things are clearer.
Thanks again for the advice.

Glad the pic of your wife & David Essex came out ok - At least you get to stay alive!
(I hope you have the image backed up, and printed... :) )

Saw him on TV a few weeks ago, boy did he look old!

Good luck with the repair

That sounds exactly like what happened to my Ixus v2, but I put that down to the camera being 5 years old!

Hmm, it sounds like it might be something that can happen with compacts. It does seem strange though. I must confess to being somewhat relieved that it worked when it really had to. The disappointing thing is that I bought the G9 because it does take excellent photos but also because it feels like a good robust camera. I am not into disposal and purchase every so often and thought that this would be a great and sturdy workhorse that would last a good long while. This problem kind of challenges this although I appreciate that this might be an isolated problem within a gazillion camera sales. Anyway, I am still waiting to hear back from Canon UK.

Back