Help & recommendation on Grad and ND Filters

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking at purchasing a filter kit for using Grad and ND filters for landscape and with a wide angle lens. I have been looking at the Cokin P series, Cokin Z Pro series and Lee filters.

Now as I understand (pls correct me if Im wrong), with the Cokin Z pro series and Lee filters, the filter size is 100mm x 150mm. This retangular shape is to enable the user to slide the filter up or down to match the filter to the scene.
The Cokin P series seems to have a filter size of 100mm x 100mm. If so how do you adjust the filter to the scene? :shrug:

Looks like at the moment I am going with the Cokin Z Pro series as they seem good value for money.
Lee filters seem too expensive for me :eek: as Im no professional.

I have heard different things on Cokin filters, so.........
Can anyone give me some recommendations on which filters they use, like or dislike for whatever reason.

I think the cokin P grad is actually rectangular.

I use the cokin Z filters, I bought these after I'd left my set of Lee Grads on the Dales one day :(

I like them , believe they are as good as Lee filters for doing the job they are intended for, although they tend to scratch easier than Lees.

I think the cokin P grad is actually rectangular.

That they are. Depends how wide you want to go. P series will do fine for anything down to about 17-18mm. Well, they work fine on my 17-55. Cheaper as well. If you want to go below 17mm then Z is ptobably the way forward.

I must be looking in the wrong places then, as I thought that there isn't much difference in price between Lee and Cokin's Pro range. Infact the circular polariser is more expensive for Cokin.
I prefer the Lee system as I have a hood which enables filters to be used, and so get the added benefit of a bellows shade in to the bargain - not that they could be considered a bargain!

I had cokin p filters. If you compose using the rule of thirds at a widish angle, there is not enough filter to stop the top or bottom showing in the picture. For this reason I sold mine, and went to lee, have regretted it one bit. I do however use cokin p filters with a lee adapter for straight forward ND (no grads). I have noticed a slight colour cast with the cokin grey grads compared to the lee neutral density filters. However, I wasn't drastic that you pictures would be ruined, in fact it improved one of my pictures (apart from the line from the bottom of the filter)

Personally I think the Lee filters are worth the extra. Look at their website and it'll give you all the info you'll need.

Back