Beginner Help required for blurred images!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys was wondering If you could help me...

I a Sony HX300 camera which I use for my car business but my images come out very blurry when I have to resize my images. I take my pictures in i+ mode with the vividness set at the highest then I upload onto my mac and open with a program called Fotor. I then Auto edit the pictures which make my images look even better but when i resize to 800x600 the image looses all its quality and comes out very blurred!

Please see images on my website www.ashmotorsltd.co.uk to see what I mean, any advice would be most appreciated.

Ash

Ash, you'll get more feedback if you actually pop some of your images on here, rather than linking to your commercial website - as some members would be very resistant to trawling through a used car sales site to provide feedback

Pick one or two images that exhibit the problem at it's worst, post them up on here, and we'll see what we can do.

There are several potential causes of blurred images:
  • Missed focus (image is sharp in the wrong place)
  • Camera shake (blur may be directional, associated with slow shutter speeds)
  • Poor resolution (wrong camera settings)
  • Over-cropping
  • Poor processing

I suspect things are going wrong in your processing. For web use you need to be resizing to the intended display resolution. You seem to be using one image size (800x600) for three different display sizes - it's inevitable that at least two of these sizes are wrong for the image size and the problem is coming in the interpretation of the wrong sized image to match the display size.

I tend to agree with @TheBigYin that there is a suspicion with a first post like this that you're pimping your business (ok, he didn't phrase it quite that way - but it's what we're thinking), but in this case I think the website itself is a significant part of the problem.

I very strongly recommend speaking to your website developer about this problem. It's very unlikely to be a camera problem, it's what you're doing with the file afterwards and the use you're then putting the file to.

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. My website and other advertising sites such as Autotrader, Piston Heads and Ebay all require resizing to 800x600..

Please see below a few images that look amazing once taken but when i resize it becomes very blurred..

Thanks again

Ash

How are you resizing them?

Edit:
And would you be happy to share one at original size so we can have a go at resizing it ourselves to see if we can get something better for you..

Last edited:
Hi Alastair,

Thanks very kind of you. I've been using Fotor software on my mac and using the resize tool on there. I don't have an original at the moment as I delete all files to save memory. Ill upload next time I take some pictures.

Thanks for your replies. My website and other advertising sites such as Autotrader, Piston Heads and Ebay all require resizing to 800x600..

But on your website it's displayed at 800x600 in the medium view, at 180x134 in the thumbnail, and if I click on the medium view the image is enlarged. If this is a digital enlargement of the 800x600 file then it will look bad - what it needs is a separate file sized for the enlargement. This is why you need to speak to the person that has done your website for you. If you're only uploading the 800x600 image you're not going to fix the problem without fixing the website, even of we got the 800x600 file looking a bit better.

Hi Alastair,

Thanks very kind of you. I've been using Fotor software on my mac and using the resize tool on there. I don't have an original at the moment as I delete all files to save memory. Ill upload next time I take some pictures.

Post up something next time you've got an original. It's really not worth deleting them these days - at least not before the car is sold and collected. Or just take a snap for the sake of it tomorrow ;)

Hi Alastair,

Stop doing that!
Memory is cheap, your requirements are relatively temporary, there's no real need to throw away a few Mb of files a month early.

And stop using "vivid" mode.... it's enhancing the reflections in the paintwork... it looks crap. You're selling cars, not wanting to be Mario Testino... people need a clear view of the car.

At the size your website displays them though... I wouldn't worry about getting everything pink sharp. The ones that are actually on the site are way better than the ones you posted in here.

View attachment 43901

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your help.

Here is a picture I've taken today with no vivid setting other than the default and nothing has been edited.

Thanks again

Back