Beginner Help required with my ducks!!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon, I have spent a couple of hours this afternoon trying to get some images of the local duck population and I'm very disappointed with my efforts, having had some success of late with the garden robins. All my images are very soft, can this all be down to camera shake and my technique.......or lack of? I use a Nikon D3200 with a 55-200mm VR lens. The image below was shot in Programme Mode at F5.6, 1/2000 of a sec, ISO400. Am I really that bad? I did try to focus on the eye..............

019.jpg

Good afternoon, I have spent a couple of hours this afternoon trying to get some images of the local duck population and I'm very disappointed with my efforts, having had some success of late with the garden robins. All my images are very soft, can this all be down to camera shake and my technique.......or lack of? I use a Nikon D3200 with a 55-200mm VR lens. The image below was shot in Programme Mode at F5.6, 1/2000 of a sec, ISO400. Am I really that bad? I did try to focus on the eye..............

View attachment 127525

Nothing really looks to be in focus and the settings are fine, 1/2000 @ f5.6 should have given you a much sharper image.
Could it be that you moved the focus slightly before hitting the shutter?
I would do some tests on a fixed subject, preferably with the camera on a tripod and see if you can get sharp results, if not an adjustment (if possible on that camera) may be required.

Thanks for the replies, it must have been me, I have just been looking at a coupe f others and they are no where near as bad

025.jpg

Back