Help required with Sony A58 file size

Edit My Images
Yes
I have just bought a Sony A58 20mp to use as a lightweight travel camera. I have only taken a few trial shots with it and when I opened them in Photosho and
checked image size, I noticed the resolution was 350 pixels/inch which seems extremely high, given the resolution for commercial printing is usually only 300.
( The pixel dimensions were 56.7mb -39.59 x 26.36 )
By comparison, my current 10mp DSLR always shows a resolution of 72.I haven't bought a new camera in the last 6 years so I am a bit out of touch with the
latest developments. Is 350 more or less standard on high mp cameras now or am I just being thick?

am I just being thick?

Pretty much ;)

The "resolution" held in the exif is a meaningless number. Feel free to use an editor to set it to any value you like. It's just possible that manus are bumping them up because marketing teams like higher numbers but it's almost never used for any purpose whatsoever. The only exception I can think of is overlaying text in Photoshop.

You should set the resolution and dimensions of any images you want to output, generally 72 or 96ppi for web work, 300ppi for printing unless going really big.

The alpha 58 is a good little camera - had mine 18 months now.

You should set the resolution and dimensions of any images you want to output, generally 72 or 96ppi for web work, 300ppi for printing unless going really big.

Though in all honesty, nothing ever looks at the number. Oh except magazine editors who don't know what they are doing ;)

Or you could not bother and achieve exactly the same results.

Back