Beginner Help setting up time lapse photography with my grandson

Name
Cynthia Moore
Edit My Images
Yes
My grandson (age 7) and I planted a spruce tree seed. He asked me how long it will take to become a tree. The seed package said it takes about 6 weeks for the seeds to germinate and then it will grow 1-2 feet per year. We are growing it inside in a bucket and will transplant it outside in the spring.

I have an old Nikon Coolpix S8200. I mounted it on a tripod and for the past 2 weeks have taken 1 photo each day around 1 pm.

I just did some searching and found several sites that describe how to make time lapse movies. But before I try any of those, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any tips to share.

I have a few questions:

1. What's the best software (that doesn't cost a fortune) to convert these photos into a movie?
  2. Should I be taking more than 1 photo each day? One website said that videos are typically 30 frames/second (fps?) so if I want a 1 minute video, that's 60 seconds x 30 fps = 1800 photos. If I want that to cover the first 90 days of growth, that's 20 photos/day, if I did the math right. That camera does not have a time lapse timer, so I will have to go take 20 photos each day or about one every 20 minutes? Yikes!
  3. Is there a reasonably priced camera that has a built in timer that will take several photos each day between, say, 10 am and 4 pm?
  4. Am I going about this all wrong?
I posted this in the beginners section, but if it belongs someplace else, please let me know.

Thanks for any help

PS: If he shows an interest, I plan to set up other time lapse settings, like the sky during the day or over a 24 hour period.

Last edited:
Not very much is going to happen in 20 minutes, at least while the seed is underground :LOL: , so why not just duplicate a photo to make the clip last longer? I’ve never done this sort of thing, no doubt someone will have a better idea :).

Hi Cynthia.

You might want to look at a trail cam. I recently got one to monitor the hedgehogs in our garden (brand new it was about £150 IIRC, made by Browning and I can't remember the model number - edit I looked it up. Recon Force Elite HP4) and I noticed it has a time lapse function (take x photos per day at y interval). Something second hand might be "reasonably priced" it's just a case of checking to see whether it can do time lapse.

Also, there are Intervalometer apps out there for phones, so a second hand smartphone might also be an option.

The advantage of a trail cam is that the batteries last for ages, and it's weatherproof (for when you plant outside). Picture quality is easily good enough for final video output. Once you're done with the tree, you can always use it to monitor a bird table (what we're doing now with the hedgies hibernating), or your garden at night, or even as a ghetto security camera.

As for making the movie, I think I used the base Windows software that came with the old windows versions (it's been a while since I last did it). More recently I've used OpenShot Video Editor for my hedgehog movies (not sure if it does timelapse but it was free) but if you don't get any joy here, a brief search for "free timelapse software" gave quite a few results.

Last edited:
It's not a simple project but worth a bash.
I would suggest trying some easier subjects first like clouds moving or traffic on the street.
To make a half decent job over several weeks is challenging even for professionals for example getting the lighting similar each day with changing weather - a real problem area.

-An intervalometer costs about £15 and would be useful for 20 photos per day.
-Frame the photo for the final size of the plant, if it growing!
-Take the photos first and you can input later into a time-lapse software. LRTimelapse is the best and there is a free version.
-The things that a important to think about is weatherproofing and power. I wouldn't want to test my dslr outdoors for 90days without some decent protection...preferably under shelter.
-Don't be afraid to practice on something else before your project, so you can choose your settings (manual focus?)
An alternative that might be more accessible is using an old iPhone? I've got one on a building site that has been running for a few weeks now.

Hi Cynthia.

You might want to look at a trail cam. I recently got one to monitor the hedgehogs in our garden (brand new it was about £150 IIRC, made by Browning and I can't remember the model number - edit I looked it up. Recon Force Elite HP4) and I noticed it has a time lapse function (take x photos per day at y interval). Something second hand might be "reasonably priced" it's just a case of checking to see whether it can do time lapse.

Thanks for this suggestion. I found several for from about $50 to $200. Amazon has a bunch. Visionner has one for $150 that is wifi enabled. I'm not yet authorized to post links, but they are easy to find. I did find your Recon Force for about $250. I think I'll get one of the cheaper ones to start. If he really gets into it, I can upgrade him to a better model in the future.

Also, there are Intervalometer apps out there for phones, so a second hand smartphone might also be an option.

I'll look into that, but the trail cam seems perfect. It's made for what we want to do (waterproof, etc.).

The advantage of a trail cam is that the batteries last for ages, and it's weatherproof (for when you plant outside). Picture quality is easily good enough for final video output. Once you're done with the tree, you can always use it to monitor a bird table (what we're doing now with the hedgies hibernating), or your garden at night, or even as a ghetto security camera.

You've sold me.

As for making the movie, I think I used the base Windows software that came with the old windows versions (it's been a while since I last did it). More recently I've used OpenShot Video Editor for my hedgehog movies (not sure if it does timelapse but it was free) but if you don't get any joy here, a brief search for "free timelapse software" gave quite a few results.

You're right again! There are several and most have a free version.

Thanks for the leads. Now I have some homework to do.

It's not a simple project but worth a bash.
I would suggest trying some easier subjects first like clouds moving or traffic on the street.
To make a half decent job over several weeks is challenging even for professionals for example getting the lighting similar each day with changing weather - a real problem area.

Thanks for the caveats. I'm hoping that a decent trail camera will have features to take care of at least some of the technical challenges.

I love your suggestion of practicing on something simpler. And a cool movie of clouds or traffic might just pique his interest. Thanks.

Last edited:
-Take the photos first and you can input later into a time-lapse software. LRTimelapse is the best and there is a free version.

LRTimelapse looks great. The private version is only $100 and they have a user forum. That is always a huge plus for me.

-The things that a important to think about is weatherproofing and power. I wouldn't want to test my dslr outdoors for 90days without some decent protection...preferably under shelter.

A trail camera should solve that problem.

-Don't be afraid to practice on something else before your project, so you can choose your settings (manual focus?)

Thanks. Also suggested by 4wd.

Now I have some homework to do.
Thanks for coming back to the thread and replying to folks. We get quite a lot of new users coming to ask for help, then after that one post we never see them again. Hopefully your grandson will be enthused.

Good luck!

Thanks for coming back to the thread and replying to folks. We get quite a lot of new users coming to ask for help, then after that one post we never see them again. Hopefully your grandson will be enthused.

Good luck!

Thank you for the help. The trail cam tip was perfect. He loves gadgets and technology. And he lives in a wooded area. They have lots of deer and turkeys wandering through the hills near them and the occasional coyote. Shortly after they moved there, they had a black bear in their garbage cans before they learned to keep them in the garage. (The cans, not the bear)

I'm sure I'll be back when I run into questions with the new camera or the software. This looks to be a great forum.

Thanks for the caveats. I'm hoping that a decent trail camera will have features to take care of at least some of the technical challenges.

I love your suggestion of practicing on something simpler. And a cool movie of clouds or traffic might just pique his interest. Thanks.

I've done a few timelapses of sunsets. Been a while so my memory might not be 100% correct but I think I set the (cheap GoPro clone) camera to shoot 1 frame every second (or 2) and left it to its own devices for a couple of hours. Gave reasonably smooth results, especially since there were no people in the sequence (although there was a little traffic in the distance.) The camera did all the combining in its timelapse mode so can't offer any advice on software.

I've done a few timelapses of sunsets. Been a while so my memory might not be 100% correct but I think I set the (cheap GoPro clone) camera to shoot 1 frame every second (or 2) and left it to its own devices for a couple of hours. Gave reasonably smooth results, especially since there were no people in the sequence (although there was a little traffic in the distance.) The camera did all the combining in its timelapse mode so can't offer any advice on software.
I think I'm going to get one of the trail cameras. I'll see if one of them has time lapse functionality. I'm also checking into the LRTimeLapse software.

Don’t spend money on lrtimelapse without first trying a normal editing program. Any video editor can do it. Davinci resolve is free.
Simply import all the jpg files into the timeline and it creates a video sequence. The only thing is the files must be numbered sequentially.

All, as I perceive it great advice and tips.....

Just to add my 2p's worth.

Some but AFAIK not all trail cams can be mains powered i.e. a power brick.....that with careful arrangements can be safely left connected in all weathers.

A slow growing tree I fear he will lose interest very quickly bearing mind it might be over a year before you can show him anything meaningful and engaging.

So to add to the suggestion of changing cloud scapes and other similar environmental changes........for something that AFAIK will grow rapidly is 'mustard & cress', these days called micro greens.

I think the latter might work well over say 21 days and in this case perhaps an intervalometer that can control your current camera might be a good approach....controlled setup and lighting etc.

Note ~ I am not saying the tree plan is redundant but keeping him engaged is paramount :)

Best of luck with all your efforts & experiments leading to some wonderful movies.

PS sorry if I am echoing the other posters. But as you say it can take 6 weeks to show above the soil.......can I suggest you setup the rig, take say 60 frames (i.e. 2seconds of the pot & soil and then stop until you see the very first signs of the germinated seed pushing through...... then IMO is the time to start the regularly taken images to suit the speed of emergence and slow growth.

In the meantime, in regard to my & others suggestions you will have made other short(?) time lapse videos to keep him involved :)

Last edited:
Cynthia, may i suggest something a bit more simple.
Use your phone, or ask a family member if there is a spare older phone lying around your grandson can have.
It makes life so much easier, there are many free timelapse apps to download and all will convert your images into a movie that he can watch straight away or share with friends and family.
If you go down this route buy a powerbank you can plug in for those longer videos.

Forget trying to timelapse a tree growing, start with something simple like Cress or Mung beans they will both go from a seed to fully grown in around a week, buy using your phone you can set it up with the flash and take pictures 24/7.
For clouds which are great to start with, look at the height of the clouds, if the clouds are low and you can see them moving easily go for a 1-2 second interval, on days with only high clouds try 4-5 second intervals between images.
Look at trying to capture at least 2 things going on at the same time, low clouds filling the top of the image while crowds of people (or cars) in the bottom half.
The other advantage of using a modern phone is many have Hyperlapse built into them, this can give a great effect if your grandson holds it steady while walking down a street or through a park and its exciting for youngsters as they can see the results instantly.
Set your
If a timelapse excites your grandson then using the same software and a phone he could also create stop motion animations of his favourite toys, just exactly the same as a timelapse except you move the items inbetween frames

Don’t spend money on lrtimelapse without first trying a normal editing program. Any video editor can do it. Davinci resolve is free.
Simply import all the jpg files into the timeline and it creates a video sequence. The only thing is the files must be numbered sequentially.
It looks like Davinci Resolve is pretty powerful, which usually means a significant learning curve. Is there another Windows app that will turn 40-50 photos into a movie that is a lot simpler? I just want something to get us started. Then if he really gets into it, I'll upgrade both the hardware and the software.

I discovered that my Win 10 machine has a Movie Maker icon. When I opened it, I got a pop-up telling me that I should get Movie Maker Pro and remove this one. The M$FT website says that Movie Maker was discontinued in 2017. I gave it a try. I was able to import all of my photos and it did make them into an MP4 movie, but I had no control over the frame rate or anything. The resulting video is 5 seconds long and very jerky. A lot of the problem is that my photos were taken manually. The camera was on a tripod, but not a super sturdy one and I didn't have anywhere near enough of them.

So, is Davinci Resolve my best choice for a starter time lapse movie maker or is there something simpler?

Thanks

Cynthia, may i suggest something a bit more simple.
Use your phone, or ask a family member if there is a spare older phone lying around your grandson can have.
It makes life so much easier, there are many free timelapse apps to download and all will convert your images into a movie that he can watch straight away or share with friends and family.
If you go down this route buy a powerbank you can plug in for those longer videos.

Forget trying to timelapse a tree growing, start with something simple like Cress or Mung beans they will both go from a seed to fully grown in around a week, buy using your phone you can set it up with the flash and take pictures 24/7.
For clouds which are great to start with, look at the height of the clouds, if the clouds are low and you can see them moving easily go for a 1-2 second interval, on days with only high clouds try 4-5 second intervals between images.
Look at trying to capture at least 2 things going on at the same time, low clouds filling the top of the image while crowds of people (or cars) in the bottom half.
The other advantage of using a modern phone is many have Hyperlapse built into them, this can give a great effect if your grandson holds it steady while walking down a street or through a park and its exciting for youngsters as they can see the results instantly.
Set your
If a timelapse excites your grandson then using the same software and a phone he could also create stop motion animations of his favourite toys, just exactly the same as a timelapse except you move the items inbetween frames
This is a great suggestion. I found that my iPhone has a time lapse feature in the Camera app. I just tested it out by taking a time lapse video of this website showing clouds going by:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZjzQVoapkQ

Then I found this page that describes how the time lapse app works:

https://www.hitcase.com/blogs/news/how-to-take-epic-time-lapse-videos-with-your-iphone

It's pretty cool. It starts out taking 2 shots/second. If the shoot goes past 10 minutes, it cuts the frame rate in half to 1/second and deletes every other frame of those previously taken. It repeats this every 10 minutes -- halving the frame rate and deleting every other shot.

I tested it for about 5-6 minutes. The result was pretty good. My grandson will be able to understand this and I can teach him a little math. If he gets into it, I'll eventually get him a trail camera and some video editing software.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and information. We are going to have a lot of fun.

Ok. We just put the kids to bed after a fun photography evening. He really liked the time lapse video of the clouds. I also leaned my phone against a window around noon and had it shoot the wooded area behind his house. It ran until dark. The result was a pretty good video showing the shadows changing as the sun moved. (Actually, as the earth rotated, but I don't want to get into the same trouble as Galileo did about what is at the center of the universe!)

I then leaned my phone against some books and took a time lapse of the parents fixing supper in the kitchen. He liked the cloud and shadows videos, but he thought his parents dashing around the kitchen at 4x speed was hilarious.

Kids these days really know their devices. He went off to his room and came back showing me that his iPad has the same time lapse app. He spent the next 30 minutes shooting time lapse videos of people, including himself, doing all kinds of goofy things.

I found another YouTube video showing how to animate Lego characters with Stop Motion Studio. When he saw that, he ran to get one of his Lego characters. We found that app and installed it. The basic verion is free. I was surprised that he got it immediately. I held the iPad against a support and did the shooting. He moved the little guy. He will need a little practice, but his first video was pretty darn good.

Now he wants to make a movie of himself doing magic tricks where he will make things appear and disappear. If done by shooting each individual frame, it will take forever and be quite difficult. I found a lot of tutorials on using apps like Stop Motion Studio, but I couldn't find any that would allow us to make a video where we film live up to the point where he makes something disappear, then have him freeze while I remove the item, then we resume shooting. I imagine that will take some post video editing.

Can anyone point me to tutorials on this variation of stop motion and maybe the video editing software?

Thanks

Can't help with the video, but it sounds like someone just became grandparent of the year :) Lovely story.

Having something accessible and easy sounds like the winning formula. Great stuff.

Seeing as you have an iPhone, I'm sure that iMovie would be able to compile a bunch of photos together for stop-motion. There'll be others on the App Store too. It would be easy to use, accessible without overcomplicating things.

@Cynthia Moore

With your grandson showing an (inspired) interest at a young age...... perhaps a Nick Park or Steven Spielberg in the making? :)

@Cynthia Moore

With your grandson showing an (inspired) interest at a young age...... perhaps a Nick Park or Steven Spielberg in the making? :)
Maybe Nick Park or Lucas (Star Wars). Most of Spielberg's movies are a little over his head just yet.

Thanks. Grandkids are way more fun than kids.
Isn't that supposed to be the primary benefit..................you can give them back to the parents once the 'muck & bullets' need attention..... :LOL:

Back