Help settle a bet about focus points.

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Tomorrow a friend and I are travelling to the Mach Loop to photograph some fast jets (hopefully!).

As we set our cameras up tonight in preparation, we have a disagreement.

Obviously we're shooting moving subjects, so we both agree that we're using AI Servo mode (Canon). We disagree on the focal point selection though ...

We are both using 5dMk2's.

One of us claims that we should have our cameras on automatic AF selection point as one of the 6 invisible focal points will autofocus our subject.

The other claims we should only use one point and track the moving subject to avoid any other moving thing 'distracting' the camera.

We've decided to let TP and Facebook settle our bet.

Who is correct?

Cheers.

Anth.

Trial and error. There is no one correct answer apart from whichever suits YOU best.

Thanks so far folks.

So Matt, you're saying camera on automatic focal point selection and let it focus once you've tracked it initially with centre focal point?

(Hope that makes sense!)

Not (yet) visited the loop but have shot down on the Red Arrows. Using a selection of Nikons, I've always used the central AF point only. Works for me!

just read quote " Minimum heights are governed by Regulation 157 of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988. This states that pilots must not fly over cities, towns or populous areas at a height lower than 1000 feet, or over any other area lower than 500 ft, taken as height above the highest point in the terrain.8 Mar 2016" unquote

So how come military are allowed to fly lower?,

just read quote " Minimum heights are governed by Regulation 157 of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988. This states that pilots must not fly over cities, towns or populous areas at a height lower than 1000 feet, or over any other area lower than 500 ft, taken as height above the highest point in the terrain.8 Mar 2016" unquote

For the same reason they can kill people and lob missiles into other countries. It's the military

Cos if they weren't allowed to they'd possibly enter a war and say, "Never flown this low before, hope I'll be able to do it"

The clue is in the title of the Regulations - only applies to civil aviation, not military. (The requirements you quote have been superceded anyway. The current Air Navigation Order prohibits flying an aircraft within 500 feet of a person, vehicle, vessel, building or structure unless taking off or landing. So theoretically it is legal to fly at 1 foot off the deck across deserted moorland, empty beaches, open sea, etc.).

Been up Cadwest a few times. I always use single point focus. Works fine for me. :) Have a great time. be prepared for quick changes in the weather. It gets bleak up there.

Kev.

Last edited:
Centre point and track it.

When I photograph motorsports, I select a central focus point and use that to track a fixed point on the car (usually the number on the car door). My friend uses auto point selection but also tracks the central focus point in the viewfinder with a fixed point on the car.

We always end up with the same results generally, however there are times he misses a good focus because the auto selection has chosen to focus on the rear of the car, for example, meaning the car headlights (the eyes of the subject, if you like) are slightly out of focus. You might not have such an issue with aircraft which are further away however, so both approaches should work fine.

As above,i used to always use central focus point when i used to go to motorsports.:)

Been to the Loop many times and always use centre point with horizontal helpers on my old 1D3. Works for me and I would trust auto mode.

Interested to hear how you got on though? What did you both use and who had the most success?

Hoping to go there this week as we're currently at New Quay, ceredigion. Anyone know if any aircraft activity timetable or is it turn up and hope?

I would not use automatic... The only time I use automatic is when it's really "a hope and a prayer" type situation.

I always use dynamic tracking with as few points required. Unless the subject is suitable for completely manual tracking. The only problem with manual tracking and planes may be composition. But if you leave yourself enough room for cropping/composing in post it shouldn't be an issue. Or if you "know" the shot you want and can preselect the focus point for composition...

Back