HELP: Studio light not flashing

Edit My Images
Yes
I have 3 x Interfit ex150 mkiii and so far they have performed well for my needs.

However yesterday I set them up for some product photography ready for today. All worked fine, so I switched them off correctly and went to bed.

I got up this morning and turned them on, model lights etc came on as they should, but my main light wouldn't flash.

I tried the following:

1. Changed batteries in the trigger
2. Changed the PC lead
3. Double checked all settings including channels etc
4. Took the trigger out and tried the test button on the flash unit
5. Changed the fuse
6. Changed the bulb

and the result....Nothing. It simply won't work at all. I changed everything that I can think of. The model light works fine, all the buttons work except the test one.

So, is it buggered or is there something I'm simply missing??

Cheers
Lee

EDIT: well I've opened it up and the capacitors etc look fine. I also noticed that it appears to be recycling when I press the test button. The lights flash and it beeps to say it's ready but still no flash :(

Last edited:
EDIT: well I've opened it up and the capacitors etc look fine. I also noticed that it appears to be recycling when I press the test button. The lights flash and it beeps to say it's ready but still no flash :(

Do you mean when you press the test button the modeling lights dim but the unit DOES NOT fire the flash ?

When was the last time you used this kit ?

Leave each unit plugged in for 30mins - turned on modeling light off. Then press test button on each to see if they fire. Suspect that your flash tube bulb has blown.

Does sound like your flash tube has gone but that set can't be that old, it seems a little odd (I've had plenty of knackered old MK 1's which happily chug along)... Are any of the 3 units working?

Assuming the MKIII is similar to earlier units you can easily swap the tubes around and find if that's the fault.

It's weird, when you first turn the head on it flashes but then will not flash anymore. This happens everytime. The modelling light doesn't dim when you press the test button and the unit was used the day before and before that was about 2-3 weeks prior

The flash tube is fine as it works in another head, I've swapped it out and it doesn't change anything. I'll try and leave it on for 30 mins to see if that changes anything.

There's only 1 light affected, the other 2 are fine.

Last edited:
Well I left it turned on for 30 mins....nothing
I left it on over night.....nothing :(

How much roughly do you think it would cost to get repaired?? and who is best to send it to?

I could barely find any company who provides such service. And I don't think it would be that cheap to repair them. I would rather suggest to buy a new one to avoid further hassle, if you can afford. I bought a set couple years ago and it is still functioning properly. It's from Micansu.

I could barely find any company who provides such service. And I don't think it would be that cheap to repair them. I would rather suggest to buy a new one to avoid further hassle, if you can afford. I bought a set couple years ago and it is still functioning properly. It's from Micansu.

Yeah I took delivery of a new Calumet one yesterday. It's just annoying that it breaks when nothing has happened to it, never dropped, used regularly, always kept in the bag etc.

Caps have died - not worth replacing - Its a GOOD IDEA to power up & use these items once a month.... - keeps the Caps in good order.

That's the annoying thing, it has been :(

Not to worry, it's been replaced now with a better light :)

Thanks for everyones help

Back