Help : To Flash or not to Flash!

Name
Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys, need a bit of expert advice regarding the use of flash, I'm photographing my Sons University graduation presentation tomorrow at the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool, it is quite a bright place to photograph in certain areas but if the weather changes, I imagine it to get very dark, I could probably get away with cranking up the iso and using a wide aperture but want to get the best shots available possibly with a bit of flash ?. I've never shot portraits or anything like before so any advice would be great, here's the gear I have got:-

5dmk2
430 exii flash
100mm f2.8 L
50mm f1.4
70-200 f4.0 L
24-105 L

thanks

Well you've got all the gear you need thats for sure, i would consider getting a stoffen diffuser for your flash to soften and bounce it if you do need fill flash.

Its very difficult to advise without seeing the surroundings and from what distances your taking the photos though!

what i would do:

I'd go in with the 24-105, rock the iso at about 600-800ish put the flash on the top but only use it if your struggling or need a bit of fill in ttl mode, once you start taking photos make adjustments to your taste with regard to ISO and Flash exposure compensation.

I've never seen the place but if i had to go in blind thats what i'd do.

You may also be able to get some great shots using the 100 2.8L in low light without flash too as a punt.

Thanks Chris, I have a stofen diffuser and was going to take the 24-105 for the range and probably take the 50 and 100 just as a backup, thanks a lot for your reply, I appreciate your advice.

Back