HELP!; Trying to connect a iBook to a PC wireless network

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I aquired an iBook yesterday and have spent ages trying to get it to connect up to my PC wifi network. The iBook has an internal Airport module and I have a Netgear router. I can connect when I do not have security so its not a hardware problem.

The problem is the password.

I am using WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] security. How do I convert my passphrase into somehting the Apply will understand and then let me onto the wifi with?

Thanks

AJ

What sort of generation is the iBook, it could be that it predates the security protocols...

I know that the Airport module in my iBook worked on WEP on my old network.

FWIW if it is all going through a router the network won't be set up for PC/Mac as long as something follows the wireless protocols you can connect anything to it, wireless disks/music players/fridges etc...

You may have to call the manafacturer of the router and ask them to help.

I bought a link-sys wireless router a few years back for my imac and link-sys assisted me to set up a mac ID for the router.
There's no way on earth I would have managed it on my own :crying:
T.

I believe it is a G3.....

I agree with your last statement...

If it does predate the security my router has i'm a bit $%^ as the option is no security or WPA......is this right?

Thank you both for your replies..

I had something similar to this. I chose WEP128 over 64 and that worked fine (even though it was 64bit encryption) at the Airport side.

hmmm i'll have to have a play....unfortunately I dont hav etime at the moment..

thanks.

I had a real mare of a time connecting an iBook to a BT home hub. Totally failed to connect. iPhone works fine as do 2 other PC's. Tried it with a Linksys and connected fine, just had to provide it with the passcode

I had something similar to this. I chose WEP128 over 64 and that worked fine (even though it was 64bit encryption) at the Airport side.

Slight change, just got home to check. Chose WPA over WEP even though it's WEP encrypted.

have you tried connecting via the ethernet connection. i had to do this with mine took a while to configure but works fine now.

I believe it is a G3.....

I agree with your last statement...

If it does predate the security my router has i'm a bit $%^ as the option is no security or WPA......is this right?

Thank you both for your replies..

The G3 is the one I've got, they are quite old now, I don't think I'll be able to have a play around with mine for a few weeks as I've lent it to my Mum.

Back