Help.Use of flash in macro photography

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been attempting a few shots using 100mm macro lens outside taking pictures of insects etc, and now I have a radio tigger to set off the flash I have more options available to me, what I need to know if you are varying your depth of field what settings should I be using on both the camera and flash for the best results as I am getting over exposed pictures with the larger apertures so I presume I have something wrong as I that the flash would correct exposure via ettl. Sorry for long winded question, basically need to know best settings to start off at,thanks.

Are you using the flash in manual? I would guess so, in which case you need to turn the flash power down for larger apertures.

I use Manual set at 1/250 and f11-16. If it's too bright / dull then I just adjust the flash, as I use that in manual mode too. The closer you get, the less flash power you will need.

If it's an ebay type trigger ettl wont function and I think the flash operates on full power if ettl is selected Like the other guys have said put flash to manual and adjust as needed. Is you want ettl on the cheap FITP does off camera flash cords at a good price.
HTH

Back