Beginner Help Using full Manual Lens with Olympus E-M10 ?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Just got my first full manual lens for my Oly E-M10 - a Samyang/Walimex/Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye and I'm having issue "adjusting" to shooting with a MF/MA lens as I can't seem to get any of the Oly Focus Assist modes to work - peaking or Magnify - as it's a fully MF lens I don't really expect the Focus Maginify to work from the focus ring action but I'd "hope" to be able to trigger it "manually" ?

Also don't seem to see any indication of Peaking or focus confirmation - is this "normal" or are there any options I can configure to help ?

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim have you set in the menu shoot without lens on as their is no electrical contacts between the lens & camera ? :)

Hi Simon - not sure the E-M10 has that setting as such - or it's just that I haven't found it in the extensive menu settings....

I've now got the magnify assist working by assigning it to a button but still not sure why you'd need electrical connectivity with lens to confirm focus ?

I've now got the magnify assist working by assigning it to a button but still not sure why you'd need electrical connectivity with lens to confirm focus ?

You'd only need that to get it to auto magnify at the touch of the focus ring on the lens, which is obviously not going to happen! (Don't like it myself, hate it in fact!) All focus aids should work with manual lenses, it'll just be a case of figuring out which setting to fiddle with in the menu!

On the EM5 Settings - Buttons/Dial set "Multi-Function" to a button. That has the "Magnify" mode. So you can press to magnify.

thanks - as I posted above I do now have the magnify focus assist feature assigned to a button but it's a PITA as I find that you often end up with an in-focus shot with clipped composition (unless tripod mounted) :(

..can anyone confirm whether peaking actually works with full MF lenses ?

...and has anyone managed to get AF Confirm to work ?

Cheers,

Jim

thanks - as I posted above I do now have the magnify focus assist feature assigned to a button but it's a PITA as I find that you often end up with an in-focus shot with clipped composition (unless tripod mounted) :(

..can anyone confirm whether peaking actually works with full MF lenses ?

...and has anyone managed to get AF Confirm to work ?

Cheers,

Jim

What I do is compose the shot and then place the little focus square over what I want to focus on and then call up the magnified view. If you have the time to do that your composition should be just as you intended.

Dunno about Olympus but peaking works with manual lenses on my A7 so it's at least possible to get it to work :D

Thanks - yes peaking works fine in maual with my A77 as well - problem with using the magnified view is that I'm talking a bot clode range shots and mostly filling the frame so no real "leeway" for any lateral movement which is difficult handheld - at least for me... LOL

I take a lot of flower shots with my MFT Panny G1 and a 50mm macro and I think that the trick is to position the focus box exactly over what you are going to magnify and focus on and to then resist the temptation to recompose even slightly. I try think of a magnified shot composition as being nailed - carved in stone - and if I decide that I want to recompose (even slightly) I cancel the magnified view and then recompose, line up the focus square and magnify again. It's a PITA but if you have the time it gets you the shot :D

Thanks - I know how to setup peaking - I'm just not "sure" it's working/properly with the Manual lens - haven't had a chance to have another go at it but will soon

Back