Help - What lens to get with new 40D

Edit My Images
No
I'm relatively in-experienced to photography and am currently hoping to upgrade my 350D to the 40D. I am debating which primary lens to get. The options that I'm considering are the 17-85mm 4/5.6 IS USM IS kit lens, the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Kit lens and possible the 24-105mm F4 L IS lens. The one obvious difference is the price. Has anyone got any suggestions or consideration I need to make aside from price. I'm keen to use the lens for a range of travel type photography, particularly with landscapes.

If you're relatively inexperienced, why not stick with your 350D for a while and use some of the money saved to buy one or two really good lenses? If you're inexperienced you may not be able to appreciate the benefits that 40D has over the 350D, and with a good lens on the front you can still get some great results with the 350D. Then, down the line when you've really gotten to grips with your 350D you can still upgrade to the 40D - and you'll have some good glass to stick on the front too.

I guess it depends what you class as "inexperienced" though?

The 24-105 is a serious bit of glass, with a fairly serious price tag attached. If you'd rather save the money, and are happy with the relatively limited 18-55mm range, why not go for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. It a similar range, and it's around £200, making it excellent value for money - the 2.8 makes it very fast, and my copy gives very good bokeh. It's a highly recommended lens.

I'd be reluctant to spend 24-105 money at what I take to be relatively early stages in your photography development, and the Tamron is a lens you'll be happy with for quite a long time, and if you feel you need the 24-105 later down the line, you won't be so much out of pocket.

The 17-85mm if you're on a budget, the 24-105 if you're a successful lawyer/accountant/drug dealer. The L glass will retain its value a lot better though.

I'm in the same situation. I have a 350D and am looking to upgrade to the 40D, so my list currently consists of:

Eos40D (Body only)
Grip (BG-E2N )
Battery
Canon 24-105mm f4 (about £1,500 in all)

Options to add, if I can get the extra money
Speedlite 580 EXII
24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

It depends on how "inexperienced" you are. I still class myself as inexperienced but I've had SLR's for the last 20 years, I'm just getting back into it again.

The 24-105 is a great piece of kit, my brother-in-law has one and I've been really taken by it.

At the end of the day, it's all down to budget... :shrug:

Steve

I bought the 24-105 for my 40D and it's hardly been off. A great lens and worth every penny

I'm in the same boat as Jelster (few of us making the jump, then), but £1500? Where are you looking? I reckon you could knock a bit off that if you went to a certain trader by the name of Kerso...

I'm in the same boat as Jelster (few of us making the jump, then), but £1500? Where are you looking? I reckon you could knock a bit off that if you went to a certain trader by the name of Kerso...

Well here's my list....

bits.jpg

As you can see, I've been thinking about it a bit. Prices were from one of the web based suppliers...

Oh, I don't think I mentioned the speedlite on my earlier post, or did I :shrug:

Steve

Jelster have you tired kerso for prices? he's doing the 24-105 for £570 making it £525 with the cash back

Hi, I have a 24-105mm lens on my 30D and it is hardly ever off the camera. Its an excellent lens for general purpose images and potraits etc.. Price may seem high but you get what you pay for - quality !
Im looking at a 70-200 IS f2.8L or the f4L IS version but dont know which to opt for as my next lens - can anyone assist in which is the best choice please ?
this was an image taken with the lens at night without flash which shows what it can do:
IMG_7561.jpg

Hi,

your sample prices are now way off, off the top of my head you could save a fortune buying from Kerso and/or shopping around.

The 40D has had a price drop, so shop price now £599 less cashback so £499, as for a battery Wbessada on here ( For Sale Forums ) is doing the batteries - £18.50 for two 2000mAh version and the 580EXII for £249. Saved you a fortune already ( about £220 ) :D and that's only on 3 of the items listed, Ian Kerso will/could better these too.

Mike.

Thanks Mikeyb!

Jelster, I do indeed have BRAND NEW 580EX II's for sale (£249) and they are eligible for the cashback too so are £209 after cashback!!!! I'd also do a great price on batteries if you buy a 580EX II + batteries from me. PM me if you have any questions.

Back