Help with a dog shot.

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello pals!

Today I recieve a new assignment, first time I do this kind of photo. So all the things I can learn or you can tell me are great.

I have to photograph a black dog, for a new shampoo for dogs.

And I have a lots of questions for you pals. :ponders:

I'm thinking to shot this handheld with my 20D with the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5, because the client doesn't have a lot of budget to get a trained dog to be quiet and stand still to use a tripod on a studio, hehe.

I will shot in day light on a garden and may be use some silver/white reflector so the hair of he dog have some light on it and avoid black parts.

Any suggestion for this? :ponders:

pd. may be this has to be posted on "Tutorials and guides" if so, please if a Mod can move it could be great. :whistle2:

Try to compose it so there is a light coloured background behind the dog, make sure you fill the frame as much as possible with the aforementioned beast, and make sure you get a catch light in the eyes :)

The main thing with animals is to get down on their level for a more interesting intimate shot. With a black dog you need to avoid under-exposure, so meter carefully and shoot in RAW. I'd normally say bracket your exposures like Hell, but depending how unruly the dog is, you'll be taking your shots when you can get 'em.;)

Avoid shooting around midday if it's very sunny. The reflectors are a good idea if you can get the dog to keep still in one place long enough to position them, or try fill flash. The owner standing right behind you can help hold the dog's attention.

Good luck. :)

Other considerations: is there going to be any copy dropped into the photograph, or will the photo be dropped into the copy?
What colour is the copy.
What colour is the Logo (if any)?

All needs to be considered before you shoot. The photo may only be part of the overall layout and must merge seamlessly with the whole in order for it to work well.

Either you or someone near to you have some of the dogs favourite treats in your hand to get the dogs attention. Dog's will do most things for a bit of food, but don't wait too long or a) it'll bite your hand off b) start to froff at the mouth ;)

wow, lots of comments, thanks!!!

I will write down all, and let's see what happen, I don't have the shot confirmed, but I tell you later if it does how it was.

Regards

Having haunted this forum for a couple of weeks I'm realising how little I know about photography, but what little I do know is about photographing animals..... I'd second the idea of getting as low as possible and add that it's worth trying to skyline the animal if at all possible...... that said, I guess the client might have his own ideas!

Don't forget, let the dog get used to you before you start prodding the camera in its face.
Some dogs can be very nervous, and take an hour or so before they start to be comfortable with you and camera.

Make sure your at eye level with the subject, and try to get eye contact.

You may even want to consider having some soap suds mixed up ready to throw some on the dog.

Back