Help with a picture

Edit My Images
No
Right finally have my nex 7 but the oil that comes with it is useless!!!im new to photography...how do I take a picture..say of a cat..then make all the background out of focus!!!

Presume you mean manual

Select a wide aperture (lower number) . Not sure how wide they go with the nex, but the lower the better for out of focus backgrounds.

Cheers fella...been playing with the camera all day...struggling a bit to be honest!!

Daz4311 said:
Cheers fella...been playing with the camera all day...struggling a bit to be honest!!

Some of us have been playing with them for 30 years and are still struggling.

Seriously, don't compare it to a VCR, think more guitar.

You manual is like a play in a day book, it should get you a photograph out of the camera. But there's a lot of practice required before you can knock out a decent tune.

Some of us have been playing with them for 30 years and are still struggling.

Seriously, don't compare it to a VCR, think more guitar.

You manual is like a play in a day book, it should get you a photograph out of the camera. But there's a lot of practice required before you can knock out a decent tune.

Cheers fella..I've packed it away for the night..I'll start again after work 2moro..just want to try and get to know the camera and get the knack of a few different techniques before my holidays in late August!!!??

Daz4311 said:
I've packed it away for the night..I'll start again after work 2moro..

Never pack it away! Take it with you everywhere you go, even work! The only way to get to grips with photography, even holiday snaps, is to shoot as much as possible whenever possible!

As has been mentioned open up the aperture, (Low f number) and get in nice and close. That should produce the effect you are after.

I wrote a REALLY basic introduction tutorial on exposure while ago which covers the effects of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. I'm new in here and not sure if I need a certain number of posts before I can submit it as a PDF download but will ask a mod if they can clarify that for me?

Kind regards

Chris

Right gave this a go..only lens I've got until my 50mm f1.8 lens turns up is my 18-55 zoom lens..only goes as low as f3.5...taken lots of shot...not a one has the rear out of focus that im looking for..is this because my aperture settings won't go low enough??

Daz4311 said:
Right gave this a go..only lens I've got until my 50mm f1.8 lens turns up is my 18-55 zoom lens..only goes as low as f3.5...taken lots of shot...not a one has the rear out of focus that im looking for..is this because my aperture settings won't go low enough??

Partly that, and partly that the background is probably too close. You need a good separation from the subject to the background, a few feet won't be enough, especially with a small sensor camera like the nex.

A Nex 7 doesn't have a small sensor? Use 55 at f5.6 (guessing that's what it is) and you will get a noticeably out of focus background. Once you get your 50 1.8 it will obviously be a lot easier and you can get a very out of focus background.

For the least depth of field (most out of focus background) use the longest zoom (55mm,) widest aperture (lowest f number) and get as close to your subject as you can and get the subject forward of the background.

Back