Beginner Help with another purchase

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks.

I am before next photo-related purchase, but am not quite sure what to get. Currently I have two bodies D5100, one lens - 50mm f/1.8G and 50cm Lastolite sunlite/soft silver reflector. Would like to buy something, that would open new door in photography for me, hence I considered few items

Nikon SB-700 flashgun
Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 (used) or 1.8 new
Tripod (looked at heavies from Manfrotto, with head about 280 quid)
Another second hand laptop (my current Toshiba Tecra does not run Capture One 8 or 10)

I know I will end up with all items listed above anyway, but what would you get in the first place and why?

Regards
Tom

Edit - forgot most important thing - it looks like I mainly shoot portraits of people and sometimes dogs, would like to focus on work with people as much as possible.

Last edited:
I don't know the prices of Nikon flashes as I'm a Canon shooter, but I'd go for a Godox flash and X1T-N far more bang for your buck. Think you can get the godox TT685 and X1 for £135, which is much cheaper than the Nikon unit. Then you can start OCF which will aid your portraiture.

Last edited:
And I'd get a softbox and a Godox S-Type Bracket. Which would probably still work out about the same price as the Nikon flash

Thank you Matt. The SB-700 is priced about 220 quid.

Never really heard of Godox flashes - I was advised that I should go with Nikon, or if I don't want the SB, Metz would be the only other brand worth looking at. Will do a little research on the subject cause it is totally new to me.

Brian - thank you as well for your suggestion.

Put it this way, I bought 2 TT685, liked the results that much I've bought the AD600. Oh and just got myself the AD200 as well.:LOL:
Once you get the flash off camera with softbox the results are so much better. Have a look on YouTube at the godox range. Neewer are very similar.

Back