weekly Major's 52 - 2017. Updated - week 3

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks.

I thought it could be fun to join you in this challenge :). I'll start from week 27, but will try and catch up with all missed topics before end of the year ;).

So here it is, my take on the agriculture.

Week 27 - Agriculture

by Tom Major, on Flickr

Photo was taken a while ago, during plane spotting session at EGNF. This huge thing just came out of nowhere (literally, Netherthorpe is not exaclty big ;) )and started to spray grass strip.

I had to take this shot from the archive as I'd never think I will photograph this sort of thing ;).

I will also make a list of direct links to posts with photos (idea stolen from one member, but seems to be great)
Week 3 - Hairy
Week 5 - Mineral
Week 11 - Dark
Week 12 - Power
Week 23 - Progress
Week 28 - Graceful

Thanks for looking.
Regards,
Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom, welcome to the 52 and remember it is fun and your challenge. A good shot for agriculture as you have caught the tractor well :)
If you can, try and sort out a Linky from the main post, so it brings the viewer here to comment. How I do it is, I have one tab open for my page, then open your flickr and then open up another tab for TP, on the 1st tab put your shot in, then Click on the number at bottom, yours is #1 click copy the code, then go to the main post for photos only, write Linky and highlight it then click on the chain that says Link and paste your code, after that then put your photo in the main thread, hope it helps :)

Thanks Dave ;).

Link is sorted, thanks for mentioning it, I was sure it was there.

I only got this photo thanks to data recovery from my failed HDD - along with few thousand others :). Still didn't process them all, but glad I did one folder at a time.

Well it's certainly agricultural. I would have liked to see a bit more space around it or doing some actual spraying. Having said that, it's nice and sharp, you can see the farmer and it's a good exposure.
I hope you keep on with this 52, it's a nice little community on this forum and some good fun.

Thanks for popping in Dominic ;).

I fully agree with space around the subject and regret not shooting it differently. Truth be told, I struggled a lot with choosing correct focus point - still do to some extent, but at least now I am able to spot it almost in time ;). This picture is 3 by 4 vertical crop, think the only solution.

I will do my best to keep up the chalenge and to catch up with missed weeks - I've seen some interesting points in the list :).

Welcome to the 52 Tom

I'm looking forward to seeing your takes on the themes, and I must say very brave of you to try and catch up before the end of the year, there is always 2018 for a full 52, so don't put yourself under too much pressure by trying to catch up, you have a good 6 months ahead of this year to work through, though if you do post the back themes well done indeed :)

A nice first image, that is one big tractor there and a good image to get your challenge under way (y)

Welcome Tomasz, good start even if it is from the archives. ;)

Good detail, not the best of BGs but it's nice and hazy. And, as mentioned above, the tractor is a bit tight in the frame.

Tidy looking crop sprayer, I like the bit of wheel blur and as Tim says good separation from the background

Thanks all for welcome, feedback and encouragement - it is appreciated and indeed motivating :).

I thought I'd start catching up slowly, so picked one theme from the list.

Week 12 - Power

Week 12 - Power
by Tom Major, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
I think you needed a higher shutter speed in your tractor pic as the wheels have a touch of motion blur.

Howver, I think your Power image is inspired and a very good shot.

Enjoythe 52 !

@Hertsman

thank you for your comment, it is appreciated.

Duster was shot a while ago and it wasn't photo I paid particular attention to, but I used settings like that (1/160th, f/8) due to piston powered aircraft being my subjects. 1/160th for one very simple reason - to show a bit of motion of the prop as well as to allow me to pan with relative ease.

Since the duster was in motion, I am happy to leave it with blurred wheels :).

As to the power shot - it took fair bit of experimenting with flash, background, light and placement of figures, but it was worth it :). Learnt new thing or two about my flash and DoF and am quite happy with effect :).

Cheers

Thank you Daniel.

Tried to place light source from behind, but was unable to find sweet spot and resulting photo was quite considerably underexposed (it was shot in quite dark kitchen, on black table, with black backdrop) - to the point that I had fairly few black patches on it. I just don't like the way my D5100 handles bumped ISO, so moved light instead.

photo was quite considerably underexposed

Then, a couple of strategies are there to resort to.

1. the inverse square law, its understanding and application
    could bring some solutions by itself

2. proper setup is an immense factor. Keeping the ISO down
    is all critical. The +/- ƒ8 selection for sharpness is not to be
    neglected ever. That leave you with the third element of the
    equation: exposure time… and, for this solution and its cool
    results, a tripod is required to apply either or both the multi-
    ple flash bursts option, the longer curtain time, or a combi-
    ned approach to both.
Success is absolutely at hand, go for it!

Hi Tom,

Power - Great set of props there, loving the reflections and clarity of the in focus subject + the shallow DoF pushing the pawn oof.
The Dutch angle suits too (y)

Mineral - Lovely and sharp, nice colours and another great reflection. The reflection helps to ground the image, which prevents it from appearing to float in the shot :)

Thank you all for your kind comments again ;).

A bit more catching up now. I went for a walk earlier today with intention of shooting just this week's theme. Idea was to shoot a horse, but for some reason there were none around! Someone nicked all the horses from my little s******e, I mean village. Anyway, not giving up, went on with the search and found this

Week 11 - Dark
by Tom Major, on Flickr

One was clearly dead, remaining two seemed to be quite alerted. They stuck around for few seconds only and then left the scene.

After that I found perfect subject for this week's theme.

Week 28 - Graceful
by Tom Major, on Flickr

and then another one, but not too keen on angle. It's a shame one can't just ask them to sit down and don't move while shot is being composed :D ;)

28 - 2

Week 28 - Graceful 2
by Tom Major, on Flickr

I love graceful 2 and
this graceful 1…

graceful.jpg

Hi Tom,

Dark - Presumably a reference to the dead flutterby? The image feels a bit busy to me, the flutterbys are too similar in hue to the background to stand out.

Graceful - I prefer the second shot. The contrasting colours help it stand out from the background. (y)

Daniel,

Thank you for showing me your processing. It does look a bit better indeed - I must learn when I don't need to look at the histogram :)

Tim,
it was reference indeed. I agree on the busy look and to be fair, it shows perfectly what was happening when I spotted it. Whole 'event' didn't last too long and they were flying like crazy, so in this particular case I think I'm not gonna bin this take - but thank you very much for pointing its weak points! ;)

Dave,
I wasn't too sure about shadow on this picture, but glad you like it :).

Comming next - progress. Just need to pick best shot and process it ;)

Thank you so much Dave, I thought I royally s*****d lighting on this one :D.

It's not best shot of the series though, that one had to be binned as his jacked formed in such way he looked like he had breasts bigger than his mum :D....

Great start to your 52 I hope you enjoy it.
Agriculture : Great machine really stands out from the background.
Power : Good take on the theme, I like the reflection.
Mineral : nice sharp image and good colours and another ood reflection.
Dark : not sure why its dark but well captured
Graceful : More butterflies both well taken I like the brighter colours in the second one and I know what you mean about wanting them to keep still while you take the shot

Thank you @minx

Dark due to one butterfly being dead...

I deffo enjoy the challenge. Gives whole new meaning to my photography :)

Last edited:
great catch up, its good to see someone put the effort in Power Is the strand out image to me,
"Mineral" is for me a little tight in the frame would like a bit more room around it,
"Progress" is a nice pic of your son, though I do think that he was never small enough for the bike on the right

And you'd be right - thank god, gone are the days when little thing actually worked and made awful lot of annoying noises.... Don't get me wrong, I like it, I bought it for him, but after listening to 'ninja wheelie time' five milion times or so I was glad it broke :)

Back