Help With Aperture Reading On Nikon

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I used to know the answer to this question but I have forgotten.

I am testing some old Nikon Lenses on my Nikon D3 and some of the older lenses are showing strange Values in the Aperture readout.
In this image, I have a 35mm D lens coupled to an extension tube.

What does this strange reading mean, sometimes I have seen it say F0

IMG_1371.JPG

Hi Ian, long time no see. That looks like a miscommunication to me, surely you can read the aperture off the lens, which says f22 currently.

Or am I completely mad?

Hello Phil, yes it's been a long time :)

Miscommunication, you might be onto something here, so basically, the camera knows there is a lens attached but doesn't know how to talk to it.?
A quick Google and test suggests that the lens might not be fully locked in place. Or the contacts need cleaning.

EDIT: F0 usually means that the smallest aperture isn't set/locked. Also wonder if the extension tube is part of the problem.

Last edited:
Hi Ian, long time no see. That looks like a miscommunication to me, surely you can read the aperture off the lens, which says f22 currently.

Or am I completely mad?
Some nikon lenses are set to f22 on the lens to allow the aperture to be set by the command dial

not related to original query but more to do with why you might think you’re going completely mad

For non cpu lenses you set the lens aperture in custom lens setting and tell it what the max aperture is for metering

Last edited by a moderator:
As said above - check the contacts and check that it this AF-D lens is in actually clicked in to min aperture for the camera to recognise the lens and control via the control dial.

Do you get same issue without the tube ? If not then it’s likely the extension tube that is the problem

As said above - check the contacts and check that it this AF-D lens is in actually clicked in to min aperture for the camera to recognise the lens and control via the control dial.

Do you get same issue without the tube ? If not then it’s likely the extension tube that is the problem
Thanks, It was the extension tube
So how are you supposed to use these tubes if they mess up the Aperture reading

They don’t usually but I have had bad Meike and Kenko tubes in my time.

Actually, the Kenko AF ones are probably the best ( in spite of my experience) but they are about 100 quid from amazon. You might find them used from a dealer eg mpb have a set at £66 - best to avoid ebay for these imo - 50/50 they do/don’t work

Also if you ever want to AF with the tube on then kenko have the screw drive pass through for af-d lenses. Dunno who else does this feature.
richard

Last edited:
Put the camera in manual and use the meter scale in the viewfinder or on the back of the camera after pressing info, then adjust the apperture/shutter speed/ISO accordingly to get correct exposure.

Back