Help with choosing lights

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys

I'd like to start more studio/portrait photography, and I need your advice.

I have:
-speedlite 580EXII
-round 43" 5in1 reflector
-2x continuous lights (2x big 5500K bulbs + 50cm x 50cm softboxes)

Now the question is: what's better to buy:
1. Another flashgun + wireless triggers (I was thinking about yongnuo set)
2. Lencarta flashlight + softbox + umbrella

I'm not sure if I can fit Lencarta to my softboxes and stands...same about flashguns I probably have to buy some adapters, mounts or something...

If anyone can write what's the better option and why.

Thanks and Regards

If you're getting serious, get the Lencarta kit, you might get reuse out of the stands and softboxes, but it might take some hacking about and it might not be worth it. Once you've unpacked the Lencarta stuff you'll realise how impractical the continuous stuff was.

Unfortunately, you'll need something to trigger the 580ex (which will come in handy for hairlight or similar).

Cheers Phil

I think I'll order Lencarta, but I'm wondering between Elite Pro 2 300Ws and 600Ws...

Last edited:
Hi phil am considering something similar, what could youse to trigger the speedlite if you got the lencarta kit withe their triggers ?

What are you shooting? Used in a small space the Smartflashes are plenty of power, in a proper studio space the 600s might prove too powerful when you're aiming for reduced DoF, remember the 300's at ISO200 are equivalent to the 600s at ISO100. But when you need 2.8 you'll be breaking out the ND filters.

Hi phil am considering something similar, what could youse to trigger the speedlite if you got the lencarta kit withe their triggers ?
It really depends what you want. But personally I'd get YN622 triggers for an ETTL speedlight. That way they're multi use, whereas, if you get dumb triggers you're stuck. A pair of 622s and the Lencarta Wavesync's gives you lots of options and a bit of redundancy.

Back