Help with D5 settings

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Guys
When I used my D810 while shooting birds I used to set my f to say f8 and use the rear wheel to adjust ISO until I had the desired shutter speed say 1/1000.
I've been trying to get the same with my D5 but for the love of me I can't figure it out........ Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Neil

Why not use manual setting of shutter and aperture and use Auto-ISO?

Never thought of that, does it work?? Meaning is it fluent when in the filed?

Pretty much, you can select what you want as the maximum ISO you are prepared to go to and the minimum shutter speed you want.
If you are asking too much for the ISO you selected it will drop the shutter speed so you need to be realistic and be prepared to compromise if shutter speed is paramount.

The problem I see with that is having the exposure scale on the right hand side. If it was at the bottom then I would say it would be workable

The problem I see with that is having the exposure scale on the right hand side. If it was at the bottom then I would say it would be workable
Not sure what you mean, Auto-ISO basically doesn't require any interaction ... you set the parameters and it works within them (if it's possible to do so).

Pretty much, you can select what you want as the maximum ISO you are prepared to go to and the minimum shutter speed you want.
If you are asking too much for the ISO you selected it will drop the shutter speed so you need to be realistic and be prepared to compromise if shutter speed is paramount.

That is what I do rather than mess about manually changing the ISO, as the camera can do it much quicker than I can. :) You can also dial in Exposure Compensation too. ;)

Okay got it sorted already f6 gives you the option to touch any of the mode buttons once then the rear dial takes over........ Neat

There is no easy ISO on the D5 I guess they figure they gave you an easy button for that. But option f/6 only holds until you press the shutter, then the new setting is locked in. Or maybe it's because many (most) use auto ISO w/ newer Nikons... because it's pretty brilliant.

You can use "easy EC" in combination w/ auto ISO instead. In A priority set your minimum SS under the Auto ISO (1/1000), and set your maximum ISO limit. In this mode the easy EC dial will push ISO around, but it does change the exposure. This is how I typically work. I prefer it over manual mode w/ auto ISO, unless I'm trying to force a slow SS (i.e. panning).

There is no easy ISO on the D5 I guess they figure they gave you an easy button for that. But option f/6 only holds until you press the shutter, then the new setting is locked in. Or maybe it's because many (most) use auto ISO w/ newer Nikons... because it's pretty brilliant.

You can use "easy EC" in combination w/ auto ISO instead. In A priority set your minimum SS under the Auto ISO (1/1000), and set your maximum ISO limit. In this mode the easy EC dial will push ISO around, but it does change the exposure. This is how I typically work. I prefer it over manual mode w/ auto ISO, unless I'm trying to force a slow SS (i.e. panning).
Cheers Steve,
Realistically how high can you push the ISO on the D5 before it becomes a PITA to try and remove noise in PP.......i'm thinking 3200??

Cheers Steve,
Realistically how high can you push the ISO on the D5 before it becomes a PITA to try and remove noise in PP.......i'm thinking 3200??
How critical are you? :)
You've owned the D4/s... it's about the same. There's a touch more MP's which helps hide it a touch better, that's about it. At lower ISO's (~sub 1600) the D5 is actually worse, you just probably won't notice it. And the D5's ISO performance is quirky... not linear at all, i.e there's more added/system noise at ISO 300 than at 1200.

Back